Coronavirus

4 hours ago, garfield said:

I wonder what a Finals might look like if it were played to an empty stadium.

2010 victory concert

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Is it June yet?

no. and since this is dcp, we have to argue about anything we can. it's in the membership terms

15 hours ago, Crownie01 said:

Flu deaths are preventable with vaccines. There’s no vaccine against corona virus, and the death count keeps going up. 

Edited by Bob P.
Removed

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Omg. I wash my hands about 30 times a day.  

Having OCD, I was my hands several times an hour some days.  I got the flu earlier this month and missed three days of work...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, year1buick said:

It’s too soon to know for sure but there’s definitely reason to be concerned. And if the CDC is saying to prepare for it being potentially “bad” then I think it’s something to take note of.

This thing is still showing a mortality rate of 2-5%. Influenza tends to run around .02% That difference is why governments are going to extremes to limit outbreaks. Imagine if it were to play out to influenza level infection rates? (For reference, the CDC is estimating   29-41 million cases in the US this season). If it were to start making a presence here, I can totally see it affecting activities like DCI. Hopefully not, though.

In a relatively third-world part of China.  For all of you statistics geeks, please make sure you consider ALL of the variables.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

I guess putting out statistics and numbers, everyone just created their own narrative about what the numbers were saying. I posted the numbers just as a point of reference, with no bias one way or the other. They were literally put there as stats. Nothing more. Nothing less. But by all means, go ahead and assume what I meant, and reacting to the post.

What do you expect when you compare apples to oranges? 

Fair enough - I will not assume what you meant by comparing statistics on a flu that has run its course vs. a new virus, with no context.  But since you still have not told us... well, what DID you mean?

14 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

I guess putting out statistics and numbers, everyone just created their own narrative about what the numbers were saying. I posted the numbers just as a point of reference, with no bias one way or the other. They were literally put there as stats. Nothing more. Nothing less. But by all means, go ahead and assume what I meant, and reacting to the post.

Remember, today we have "EXPERTS" in everything in Social Media! 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, garfield said:

I wonder what a Finals might look like if it were played to an empty stadium.

That would solve the problem of where to put the ever-growing throngs of insane cheering staff members without irritating fans.  :lle:

Seriously, though, a few thoughts.  While it is too early to say for sure where this is headed, the patterns of behavior suggest two likely outcomes.  One is the use of quarantines of at least two weeks in duration wherever authorities determine necessary.  The other would be that virus fears depress in-person attendance at group events, and/or shift some fans toward viewing events from home.  Maybe 2020 was the perfect time for FloMarching to ramp up their coverage.

Mobile kitchens will face intermittent challenges when quarantines interrupt supply chains, or detain volunteers from going on tour when promised.  (That can also affect teaching staff and drivers who rotate in/out of tour during the season.)

Need a plan B (and C, D, E... ) for corps housing.  The first instance of any touring youth group being quarantined at a school will prompt some other schools to cancel their prior commitments to house corps.

An often-overlooked SoundSport innovation might become relevant - "virtual performances":

"Virtual Performances – Virtual Performance Events are offered SoundSport® ensembles through e-Adjudicate Online Judging. Participants will receive invaluable input from nationally-recognized performing arts education professionals and feedback to help them maximize their ensemble’s performance strengths, while refining areas of opportunity to create high-achieving, highly-entertaining performances."

In other words, judges view performances remotely via webcast.  While that is far, far from an ideal scenario, it is an option worth considering if quarantines or travel limitations interfere with the tour.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TwoValves said:

In a relatively third-world part of China.  For all of you statistics geeks, please make sure you consider ALL of the variables.  

Way people travel today even “3rd world part of China” has travelers and/or family members. IOW it’s not staying there...

Hope for the best, prepare for the worse...: