Coronavirus

10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I took the response to mean that the death rate is higher in a part of China where medical support might not be as strong as in other parts of the world.

That said, Japan is a modern, industrialized nation with great medical facilities -- and Japan just announced that all schools will be closed for the next month.

If that were to happen in the U.S., or certain states,, presumably the closed schools would have to make up the time in the summer.

How would that affect DCI?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I took the response to mean that the death rate is higher in a part of China where medical support might not be as strong as in other parts of the world.

That said, Japan is a modern, industrialized nation with great medical facilities -- and Japan just announced that all schools will be closed for the next month.

One my clients is headquartered in Japan.

They were saying a big part of Japan's  problem was an influx of a large number of people from other Asian countries, especially Korea.

23 hours ago, garfield said:

What if a solution is to have an abbreviated tour that excludes corps from the most-prone cities.  SF issued a very real warning today.  What about Mandarins and their emphasis (not exclusivity) on Asian members; are they at higher risk?  Should DCI quarantine either corps from tour to protect other corps members?  Boston?

Yikes. It appears that particular incident (the first U.S. case where the source wasn't known) may have been the result of some pretty serious incompetence -- and that's describing the situation pretty generously. Per the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Washington Post (three separate but related articles), workers who met and oversaw the repatriation of Americans who'd been flown back from Asia and quarantined at Travis AFB (near the location of the new case announced yesterday) weren't provided with protective equipment or training for days, were told when they complained about it that they weren't being team players and were threatened with termination, freely mingled with other personnel on base and in nearby communities, have since flown on commercial flights (and not just in California), and themselves have yet to be tested for coronavirus.

So again everyone: you should assume that right now, anyone you meet could be carrying the virus and just not showing symptoms yet. Don't shake hands with anyone -- or if you do, wash them thoroughly before eating. Wash your hands frequently anyway. Don't put your hands near your face, especially if you haven't washed them. Use hand sanitizer if you can't wash. (If you have kids, make sure they are doing all this too.) Sterilize surfaces. Stay home if you get sick. (See a doctor if it feels serious.) And if you're sick and you have to go out, wear a mask to reduce the chances you'll infect someone else. That's how you protect yourself and others!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, today said that the first trials will start in 45-60 days but also: "In order to get a vaccine that's practically deployable... it's going to be at least a year to a year and a half, at best."

Oh, an this particular expert is now telling colleagues that he's been instructed not to make any more statements in public about the outbreak.

So maybe everything he said that I quoted above is wrong and we'll have a vaccine tomorrow. Who knows?

On 2/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Fortunately, the person just named to head up the response to the Coronavirus is top notch on medical issues. It's been 20 years since he said that "smoking doesn't kill". And who really knew whether that was true way back in 2000? Anyway, that's what you want: someone who can learn from his mistakes. (I'm serious: that's an important quality.)

Well, my random flippant comment turns out to be accidentally sort of relevant:

I had no idea that 52% of Chinese men smoke, but only 3% of Chinese women smoke.

(By comparison, about 14% of Americans smoke: 16% of men and 12% of women. The gender disparity is even higher in some other countries. More here.)

And Coronavirus mortality rates in China at this point are tracking as 2.8% for men vs. 1.7% for women.

Mind you, it certainly could be a coincidence, or merely a reflection of insufficient data.

Or it might make a big difference in mortality in this country.

(It also occurs to me that China is notorious for air pollution.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, my random flippant comment turns out to be accidentally sort of relevant:

I had no idea that 52% of Chinese men smoke, but only 3% of Chinese women smoke.

(By comparison, about 14% of Americans smoke: 16% of men and 12% of women. The gender disparity is even higher in some other countries. More here.)

And Coronavirus mortality rates in China at this point are tracking as 2.8% for men vs. 1.7% for women.

Mind you, it certainly could be a coincidence, or merely a reflection of insufficient data.

Or it might make a big difference in mortality in this country.

(It also occurs to me that China is notorious for air pollution.)

And I just heard a physician say on tv that this virus is especially tough on the lungs. 

7 hours ago, skevinp said:

All performances will be virtual this year.  Each individual performance will be projected onto an avatar that is embedded with all the others on a virtual field that the audience can watch online.

You still have to hit your dot, but it will be in the living room.  

With modified Dance Dance Revolution mats, this might work!

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yikes. It appears that particular incident (the first U.S. case where the source wasn't known) may have been the result of some pretty serious incompetence -- and that's describing the situation pretty generously. Per the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Washington Post (three separate but related articles), workers who met and oversaw the repatriation of Americans who'd been flown back from Asia and quarantined at Travis AFB (near the location of the new case announced yesterday) weren't provided with protective equipment or training for days, were told when they complained about it that they weren't being team players and were threatened with termination, freely mingled with other personnel on base and in nearby communities, have since flown on commercial flights (and not just in California), and themselves have yet to be tested for coronavirus.

And whistleblowing apparently brought good bit of this to light. My recommendation is get info on this from various sources as info might get skewed... as that’s as far as I can go without crossing the line...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1