Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

Wow, you guys marched corps, know the "news" before it ever hits the stands, know the truth from the fake "news" regardless of personal knowledge of the individual, AND are all doctors or top professionals in the medical field? I can't believe you find time to post on DCP! 

We all stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But the most powerful person on the planet said a couple hours later that there are only 15 cases in this country.

He must be relying on tabulators from Iowa.  There's his mistake.

A "mysterious " case in Santa Clara County.  Oh boy, there goes SCV's season. (/hyperbole)

Edited by garfield

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, we have a conundrum. In this post, you claim that, as of four hours ago, the total number of cases in the U.S. is 62.

But the most powerful person on the planet said a couple hours later that there are only 15 cases in this country.

Who's gaslighting us: you or the other guy?

Context can be your friend. Quote from USA Today article fact-checking the news conference.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/26/coronavirus-trump-addresses-nation-amid-first-case-community-spread/4883728002/

"The first 14 cases confirmed in the United States included 12 travelers returning from China and two individuals who had close contact with those travelers. The California man is the 15th confirmed case, not counting infected passengers from Diamond Princess and others repatriated from Wuhan, China. "

And yes, I am aware as of this post one case in Oregon and two in Washington state have been dx'ed (one of those two appears travel-related).

Edited by wolfgang

Article from Jerusalem Post discussing possibility of coronavirus vaccine possibly within a few weeks and ready for distribution in about 90 days.

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-scientists-In-three-weeks-we-will-have-coronavirus-vaccine-619101

Random stream-of-thought question:  I wonder how many jewish people have marched in drum corps, especially in the DCI era?

Edited by wolfgang

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So this quote also does not appear in this article in the New England Journal of Medicine to which you appear to attribute it (since you were responding to karuna's observation that your earlier quote isn't found in that article).

Rather, it appears in this article in U.S. News & World Report.

Also, for someone whose primary complaint in this thread has been that people are making too much of something that may never come to pass, it's pretty bold of you to use this citation about what "may" happen as evidence that all manner of things shall be well.

Please back down.  I’m a bold kind of guy.

Not engaging in this part of the discussion.

Back on topic.

Edited by garfield

20 hours ago, Continental said:

I really hope that your naive statement is true.

You do not know.   You would be wise to be cautious.

I am a biology professor who teaches a good bit of epidemiology, so I so know a a few things.

You are correct that nobody knows for sure how this will pan out.  But things need to be kept in in perspective - CDC estimates there will be 45,000,000 cases of influenza in the US this year with 61,000 deaths.  But that doesn't sell add space on the internet.

Also - Covid-19 is an RNA virus.  These tend to be rather sloppy replicators, and tend to burn themselves out.  Ebola is similar in that respect.

The major threat from any of  these respiratory viruses is to already vulnerable populations. Yes, we should be vigilant, wash hands, cover coughs, stay home if feeling sick.

But, I think that at this point it is a bit premature to cancel the 2020 DCI season.

(note how I cleverly swung this back to Drum Corps) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You made up a quote?

Didn't you earlier today claim that 90% of the news was phony?

And then you made up a quote?

I did not attribute the quote to NEJM, you did.  And my quote didn’t come from USNews.

Please respect my opinion as I respect yours, stop attacking, and get back on topic. 

I’ve stated here that I think DCI should be prepared to wear big pants and consider cancelling the season, so I’m hardly underpreparing for disaster.

My business is about odds.  I don’t think the odds of that outcome are very high.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Also - Covid-19 is an RNA virus.  These tend to be rather sloppy replicators, and tend to burn themselves out.  Ebola is similar in that respect.

Good to know. Yeah, it’s just going to be a wait and see. 

12 hours ago, skevinp said:

Can someone tell N.E. that BRASSO stole his login credentials?

I missed whatever it was that got him ejected, and he and I disagreed about a lot of things (I continue to insist that most of the best movies aren't American), but I hope he's doing well.