Coronavirus

19 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

Two cents... I heard a report mentioning that COVID-19 may be less transmittable as the temperatures go up, like other viruses.  

I don't know about you, but rehearsing in a stadium in Texas sounds fairly safe to me.... 

(moment of levity...  now, back to the doom and gloom...)

I have heard the same, but I also note that there have been 25 cases in Australia, where it is summer now & thus warmer.  That said, Oz is a pretty good-sized place and IDK  local conditions where cases have occurred, nor whether the cases were locally acquired.

As I said in an earlier post - RNA-viruses tend to burn out over time.  In addition, over the next 2-5 month the US will warm up as well.  I suspect CDC will be monitoring the virus over time so as to be able to determine what caused any change in transmission rates.  It is both a blessing and a curse to live in an era where all this science & instant knowledge transfer is possible.  We can do things like look at actual viral genomes, but news, perhaps not firmly based in fact, can be transmitted around the world instantaneously.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

True - there is some evidence to support the idea that "Spanish Flu' actually originated at Ft Riley, Kansas.  

Had vague memory of reading that but then got confused with early outbreak of  soldiers near Boston. Time to check out Barry’s “The Great Influenza” again. 
That and great non-coordination by state and local health officials. Problem of down playing danger so morale does not suffer. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some good news per this article in Business Insider: a provision in a 2010 law would require most health insurers to cover an individual's cost for a COVID-19 vaccine. So unless that law were to be repealed for some reason between now and when the vaccine becomes available, financial reasons shouldn't prevent people from getting it.

It is a good thing that he brought that to our attention right away so we could start looking into how to cover it.

3 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Two cents... I heard a report mentioning that COVID-19 may be less transmittable as the temperatures go up, like other viruses.  

I don't know about you, but rehearsing in a stadium in Texas sounds fairly safe to me.... 

(moment of levity...  now, back to the doom and gloom...)

OTOH Swine flu (H1N1) ran rampant from corps to corps during the entire summer of 2009.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, but wash your hands anyway.

i do.

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

🙄

"I don't think you appreciate the gut reaction people have to these things."

Did you ever notice that almost the whole ferry ride is just one shot?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"I don't think you appreciate the gut reaction people have to these things."

Did you ever notice that almost the whole ferry ride is just one shot?

And everyone forgot about getting the kids out of the water!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s it. I’m convinced.  We’re all gonna die.  It’s been a good run. 

I mean....technically.....

• Haha 3