Coronavirus

46 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I can often be heard at work complaining about how so many of my younger folks in classes never had to play outside when they were kids. They're literally allergic to EVERYTHING including natural sunlight and cool air. 

My mother used to say that all kids need to eat a peck of dirt by the time they are 5.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

My mother used to say that all kids need to eat a peck of dirt by the time they are 5.

It's actually worked to my advantage at home though. Britt stays out of the shop because of all the machinery and such. Nothing like metal lathes and CNC machines spinning very fast to scare the bejesus out of you. Plus, most exotic woods are poisonous by nature (the dust) so anytime I'm cutting or turning anything it's pretty much a millennial "no fly zone." 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Now N99 masks ads are popping up on here. 

Most expert commentary I've seen urges people not to buy masks (unless you're sick and need to be in public), and there have been some concerns expressed about there being a shortage of masks for health care professionals.

They say that masks are far less useful than washing hands, keeping hands away from faces, not shaking hands, and avoiding those who are sick (and having sick people stay home).

That's on the individual level. Meanwhile, almost a month ago, Scott Gottlieb, who had been the FDA commissioner from May 2017 through April 2019 (i.e., entirely under the current administration, lest anyone again try to spin this as a political argument), co-wrote this editorial in the Wall Street Journal urging more official action here in the U.S.: "It's time to start testing patients with unexplained pneumonia, even if they haven't traveled to China," because Gottlieb thought, correctly it seems, that coronavirus was already here.

The shark has been swimming in our waters for several weeks now.

But if you close the beaches, it will be bad for business.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Some potentially good news I saw today: a new tentative estimate suggests that the mortality rate of coronavirus is about 0.7%, which is still seven times higher than for the seasonal flu but less than half of what had previously been estimated.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Do you remember when we made mud pies?

Now that I think about it, with all the crap we did back then I'm surprised I made it to this age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

My wife is combating Coronavirus by cleaning everything in the house with bleach and we have hand sanitizer and a bajillion other cleaning products to the point where we will kill ALL bacteria ...thus creating another problem with no natural immunities in our bodies.  The good bacteria will all be killed off.  Hope I make it to the summer.

Unfortunately, I was like that before Covid 19.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Scott Gottlieb, who had been the FDA commissioner from May 2017 through April 2019, co-wrote this editorial in the Wall Street Journal urging more official action here in the U.S.: "It's time to start testing patients with unexplained pneumonia, even if they haven't traveled to China," because Gottlieb thought, correctly it seems, that coronavirus was already here.

The shark has been swimming in our waters for several weeks now. But if you close the beaches, it will be bad for business.

I have to say that it's really cool how scientists are able to sequence and compare the virus genes of different infected patients so quickly, even though, as described here, the results suggest that coronavirus appears to have been circulating in Washington state for about six weeks.

ER_xjupUUAMJV5K?format=jpg

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

My wife is combating Coronavirus by cleaning everything in the house with bleach and we have hand sanitizer and a bajillion other cleaning products to the point where we will kill ALL bacteria ...thus creating another problem with no natural immunities in our bodies.  The good bacteria will all be killed off.  Hope I make it to the summer.

You could point out to her that she has one billion E. coli bacteria 6 inches from her heart & enjoy the ensuing hilarity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I don't remember a single issue with food allergies when in grade school.  Most of us ate peanut butter sandwiches.  I'm sure there were some food allergies but not to the level we hear about today.  Then again, we were always outside in the mud and my own family had a variety of pets so we were probably exposed to a lot. 

As for cool air, one thing I've noticed more and more is kids wearing shorts in extremely cold weather.  In fact at my last job there was a developer who must have been around 30 who only wore shorts - no matter what the temperature was.  It would be -15 F and he'd be in shorts/boots walking through the blowing snow.

Shorts are the year round wardrobe of many high school boys in NH.  The not so bright teen boys.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Continental said:

I don't remember a single issue with food allergies when in grade school.  Most of us ate peanut butter sandwiches.  I'm sure there were some food allergies but not to the level we hear about today.  Then again, we were always outside in the mud and my own family had a variety of pets so we were probably exposed to a lot. 

As for cool air, one thing I've noticed more and more is kids wearing shorts in extremely cold weather.  In fact at my last job there was a developer who must have been around 30 who only wore shorts - no matter what the temperature was.  It would be -15 F and he'd be in shorts/boots walking through the blowing snow.

You should see the neighbor’s faces when Jim goes out to the mailbox wearing shorts and Sorel boots. 

• Haha 1