Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s crazy.  I drink smart water occasionally because I take BP meds.  I bought a case at Costco in Naperville 2/25 and now, there’s none to be had at any price. 

People are being very dumb. Does not sound like the smart water will do those people much good! 😀

• Haha 3

From The Economist, a simple visual explanation of why the early aggressive use of steps like social distancing is important:

EShhi77XYAYhtEj?format=png&name=large

Think of "heathcare system capacity" as including things like the number of hospital beds.

This also provides another reason it would be a bad idea (even if it were possible) to take the advice of the financial commentater on TV the other day who suggested that we just infect everyone now so that it will be over sooner.  

You know, beside the fact that infecting *everyone* would lead to a minimum of 1.75 million deaths in the U.S. alone.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

From The Economist, a simple visual explanation of why the early aggressive use of steps like social distancing is important:

EShhi77XYAYhtEj?format=png&name=large

Think of "heathcare system capacity" as including things like the number of hospital beds.

This also provides another reason it would be a bad idea (even if it were possible) to take the advice of the financial commentater on TV the other day who suggested that we just infect everyone now so that it will be over sooner.  

You know, beside the fact that infecting *everyone* would lead to a minimum of 1.75 million deaths in the U.S. alone.

Who the hell said that?  Irresponsible. 

58 minutes ago, year1buick said:

This reminds of the “aftermath” of hurricane Harvey in San Antonio in 2017. Though we barely got anything more than a light breeze and some sprinkles (the original forecast called for potentially damaging winds), rumors somehow got started that there was going to be a gas shortage. So, naturally, people started stockpiling gas. And... you guessed it... the city ran out of gas. Everywhere. I had to drive to Bulverde to fill up my car— and it was still all Road Warrior, with lines, angry people and a poor gas attendant trying to direct traffic. (It was a “lovely day.”) It was about two weeks before things returned to normal.

“A person is smart. People are dumb.” — Agent K

Sounds like my part of PA when snow is forecast .. “bread, milk and toilet paper”. Weird part is people buying couple of times more milk than they would drink before it goes bad.

• Haha 1

Nobody knows.  Let’s hope the virus situation settles down quickly and we get another great year of drum corps. 

36 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Who the hell said that?  Irresponsible. 

I don’t think anyone is advocating doing this.  A business commentator merely suggested its contemplation by the government (which would just lead to its rejection anyway) and the next day he apologized and denounced it as a dumb idea.  

Although he was roundly attacked, perhaps in the spirit of brainstorming we should be more welcoming of simply contemplating dumb ideas, as they sometimes lead to good ones.  

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

I don’t think anyone is advocating doing this.  A business commentator merely suggested its contemplation by the government (which would just lead to its rejection anyway) and the next day he apologized and denounced it as a dumb idea.  

Although he was roundly attacked, perhaps in the spirit of brainstorming we should be more welcoming of simply contemplating dumb ideas, as they sometimes lead to good ones.  

I get the brainstorming but I keep thinking of elderly people I know and friends with cancer who are on chemo.   It would possibly be a death sentence for them. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I like freedom of speech, makes it easier to point out the idiots. Like someone earlier who said certain groups would want millions to die. 

• Like 4