Coronavirus

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sounds like my part of PA when snow is forecast .. “bread, milk and toilet paper”. Weird part is people buying couple of times more milk than they would drink before it goes bad.

I suppose if it is worth doing, then it is worth over-doing.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Just live your life.  You’re young.  It’s mostly dangerous for the elderly.  

aaaaaaand that's the attitude that's gonna get more elderly people killed.

Everybody wash your #### hands and don't breathe on each other.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

What would you have us do?  I’m going out for dinner tonight.  Should I stay home instead?  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

And your suggestion?

• Thanks 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

And your suggestion?

I’m sure we’re both closer to elderly than he/she is.   Everybody who was an expert on constitutional law last week, is now an expert on infectious disease. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sure we’re both closer to elderly than he/she is.   Everybody who was an expert on constitutional law last week, is now an expert on infectious disease. 

Elderly? Well... according to the CDC lol. I went out for the afternoon also and quick meal at local diner.

Keeping my eyes open for local developments as 4 weeks from tonight plan to go (as possibly be in for one song) a corps standstill show.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Elderly? Well... according to the CDC lol. I went out for the afternoon also and quick meal at local diner.

Keeping my eyes open for local developments as 4 weeks from tonight plan to go (as possibly be in for one song) a corps standstill show.

There are NCAA basketball tournaments this weekend.   There’s a WGI regional today.  I guess they’re carrying on. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

46 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There are NCAA basketball tournaments this weekend.   There’s a WGI regional today.  I guess they’re carrying on. 

Understood. With the show in 4 weeks just too many pieces that could go to crap. Two biggest are theater owned by a college which is used for various non-school events. Theater might decide to close for a while to protect itself. And (might as well say it)... alumni type corps and other groups due to perform. So many people who would fall under CDCs definition of elderly and not in best interests to be in a confined crowded environment if things get bad in central PA/MD.

Hoping for best but will keep up on the latest and see. This weekend Indoor Special Olympics for MD/PA were cancelled in same county. Reason given was possible compromised immune systems of some of the athletes. Good call imo

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

From The Economist, a simple visual explanation of why the early aggressive use of steps like social distancing is important:

EShhi77XYAYhtEj?format=png&name=large

Think of "heathcare system capacity" as including things like the number of hospital beds.

This also provides another reason it would be a bad idea (even if it were possible) to take the advice of the financial commentater on TV the other day who suggested that we just infect everyone now so that it will be over sooner.  

You know, beside the fact that infecting *everyone* would lead to a minimum of 1.75 million deaths in the U.S. alone.

Thank you!  Great chart.

This is exactly right.  

While the eventual spread is unavoidable,  taking measures to slow it down as much as possible is very desirable.   Delay also pushes us closer to summer (worse conditions for the virus to spread),  gives pharma more time to work on vaccines or anti-virals, etc...  

Edited by karuna