Coronavirus

10 hours ago, exitmusic said:

Statistically, absolutely you should stay home. This disease is going to spread logarithmically and every human interaction is a potential transmission.

Wow, what a relief!  I previously heard it was going to spread exponentially.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Are you in the medical industry now? I’m losing track of your area of expertise 

I am capable of reading materials published by actual experts.

It is not in any way controversial to say that staying home is the best course of action, because it is. I realize that people will not stay home -- I myself am currently at my office, for instance -- but that's a choice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, if it’s going to spread logarithmically, then the entire population will have had it before the end of April, and it will all be over well before the DCI season starts. End of problem. #math 

Not to be that guy when you’re being that guy, but wouldn’t it depend on the base and the units used?  

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I wonder if anyone is thinking this through. We are in such a nanny state mentality we want “somebody” to take care of us while we hide under the covers and hope it all goes away. Ok. And so the nanny state responds.  Example - close schools. Ok. School is closed. Now what?  Where do the kids go?  Do they have to stay inside their homes?  Can they play together?  Do they need adult supervision?  Who will do that?  And - when will you reopen the school?  What criteria will you use to decide?  When no new cases exist?  What if that means school remains shuttered until the end of the school year?   Ugh. Yes it’s bad. The flu is bad. There are deaths. That’s horrible. So is the panicked reaction. How about  - Wash your hands. Stay home if you’re sick. Stay away from people if you’re sick. Avoid large crowds if you’re at risk. And if you’re at risk you know it. You know what to do. Stop panicking. 

I refer to this as 'The Law of Unintended Consequences'.  There were several times in USAF when I was stationed at Pentagon that we instituted a policy to fix something within my fiefdom, and it caused unexpected fallout in an alternate universe we didn't even know existed.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I wonder if anyone is thinking this through. We are in such a nanny state mentality we want “somebody” to take care of us while we hide under the covers and hope it all goes away. Ok. And so the nanny state responds.  Example - close schools. Ok. School is closed. Now what?  Where do the kids go?  Do they have to stay inside their homes?  Can they play together?  Do they need adult supervision?  Who will do that?  And - when will you reopen the school?  What criteria will you use to decide?  When no new cases exist?  What if that means school remains shuttered until the end of the school year?   Ugh. Yes it’s bad. The flu is bad. There are deaths. That’s horrible. So is the panicked reaction. How about  - Wash your hands. Stay home if you’re sick. Stay away from people if you’re sick. Avoid large crowds if you’re at risk. And if you’re at risk you know it. You know what to do. Stop panicking. 

One key difference is that there is a vaccine for most strands of the flu. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

Schools closed in Hendricks County (Avon High School , Middle Schools, and Elementary Schools)  closed until April 6th.   Nine scheduled school days and ten spring break days.  This will probably impact WGI  since Avon Guard is the defending Scholastic World   Champion.  Avon also has an A guard. Winds group and percussion group. 

I didn’t realize it was until 4/6.  Thanks for the info. 

Travel is big issue here. I see two types. Travel we need to do, and travel we don’t need  to do.

Audiences don’t need to travel for drum corps this, or any other, year. If this fear and panic continues many will stay home. Attendance could fall significantly this season. Especially for those who fly to events. Confined seating, even stadium seating, will be avoided.

Flo subscriptions to rise?

3 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

One key difference is that there is a vaccine for most strands of the flu. 

CDC Data as of 29 Feb says in the US of A there have been 34,000,000 cases of influenza this (2019-20) season, 350,000 hospitalizations, and 20,000 deaths.  

But, as a society, we are used to that 'background noise (sort of like the thunderous goo from the synthesizers)'.

When the current Gov. of New York and Pres. of US are saying the same thing (keep calm - this is not the ebola virus), maybe we should listen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Flo subscriptions to rise?

Likely, but does Flo pay the venues for the right to broadcast the performances. Based on the price, I doubt it’s much. If butts aren’t in seats, cancelation becomes more likely. Flo seems to have issues with normal levels of traffic. 

37 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

I am capable of reading materials published by actual experts.

It is not in any way controversial to say that staying home is the best course of action, because it is. I realize that people will not stay home -- I myself am currently at my office, for instance -- but that's a choice.

Well they aren’t advising everyone to barricade at home.