Coronavirus

1 hour ago, wigwam said:

I'll have to try that.  I also have those clorox wipes, I wipe everything in the cockpit down with those before I touch anything. 

Please be careful when wiping the instrument panel.  I would rather get the virus than have the wings fall off.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Only 3 cases in state of Ohio,none at  OSU .

But they canceled in person classes till March 30.

Whether you consider this an overreaction or not,things like this 

are creating disruptions in all kinds of activities.

If schools do continue to shut down and have to be cleaned and sanitized,I can't

see how this won't impact Drum Corps,including facilities for Spring Training.

looks like WGI lost the east percussion regional in NJ, and see U of Dayton tarting to put restrictions in place

10 hours ago, wolfgang said:

WGI update

Event Update for Tuesday, March 10

Because the Coronavirus is progressing at different rates, in different global regions and countries, the first advice from all sources is to be in direct touch with local health and government officials, and to follow whatever protocol they are establishing and requesting. In limited instances, large mass gatherings, including festivals and events, along with corporate meetings, theme parks, religious gatherings, and travel to/from those locations have been cancelled to protect against the further spread of the virus, with others (like the Olympic Games and NCAA) watching very closely. In North America, there has not yet been any mandatory directions given at this point, but all businesses and schools and the general populace have been advised that they should discuss and make plans in the event that closures, or cancellations become necessary moving forward. 

For festivals and events, should the virus continue to spread and grow, the options will likely be a short list: to proceed as normal, with messaging regarding prevention steps (as against the flu) to our attendees; or, to cancel or postpone. We realize that postponing is not an option due to the school calendar year and obviously cancellation would be devastating to our participants and fans.

We understand this uncertainty regarding the World Championships is frustrating to all concerned and we share in that anxiety with all of you. Directors should review travel plans for any flexibility in final travel arrangements to Dayton until we receive more information about possible restrictions and/or changes to previously announced world championship plans. WGI has been meeting with Dayton & Montgomery County Public Health as well as Ohio Public Health and will have a final determination by end of this week.

Currently, all regionals are proceeding as scheduled. We are in communications with each event partner and will inform participating groups immediately of any developments. All those involved with WGI should reference the Information on Coronavirus on our website containing important information to prevent the spread of the virus and reinforce these guidelines with your participants, staff, and volunteers.

WGI continues to follow guidance from the Center of Disease Control, state and local departments of health, and school districts of our participating groups to ensure a safe, healthy environment for our performers and fans. In this time of uncertainty, rest assured that we are monitoring the situation on a daily basis to make the best decision to protect the health and well-being of all those participating in WGI.

We wish everyone continued good health and thank you for your attention and vigilance.

WGI Sport of the Arts

and that changed this evening

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Could some of these WGI groups pulling out want to protect themselves before DCI needs them at an April camp and/or ST?  Maybe by then, this virus issue will be fading.

some groups had their schools pull the plug on their season, like Norwalk CT. in fact the MAC circuit killed their season. in one part of PA, a show host won't let schools from a certain county attend because one school there  (not any planning to attend) closed due to exposure.

Edited by Jeff Ream

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Could some of these WGI groups pulling out want to protect themselves before DCI needs them at an April camp and/or ST?  Maybe by then, this virus issue will be fading.

I'm not understanding this.  What does DCI have to do with a WGI group pulling out?

3 hours ago, wigwam said:

I'm an airline pilot so I have to spend a lot of time in airports and planes.  This corona virus has made me very worried about going to work!!  

I've washed my hands so many times I fear my skin may sluff off. 

I’m a little concerned as well. Sure, I wear the proper PPE, but when you hear so much talk about how ineffective the masks are against filtering the viral particles, and that they still aren’t sure as to whether asymptomatic carriers can transmit it AND you spend all day with your face in other people’s faces, as you run a drill, with water spray, that is constantly creating an invisible aerosol of water and saliva all around you and... yeah... I think about it. 

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Question for the peanut gallery: does DCI get involved with housing and/or rehearsal sites or is that all on the corps?

In general, DCI secures housing for finals week and for all regionals, and the individual show sponsors are responsible for finding one night's housing for each competing corps. When a corps has multiple consecutive days without a show on tour, it is usually on the corps to find housing for those non-show days. Often, the sponsors of the shows on either end of those off days can provide housing for additional nights.

• Thanks 1

The University of California campuses are cancelling all events with more than 100 attendees through the end of the academic year in June.  I work for one of the campuses that hosts a lot of non-University events at our arena, including a large statewide high school dance competition.  All contracts are being cancelled.  We understand that USC and Stanford are doing the same.  Both the Pac 12 and Big West basketball tournaments will be held without spectators.  I can't believe UD is going to permit WGI to be held in their arena, but who knows?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

The University of California campuses are cancelling all events with more than 100 attendees through the end of the academic year in June.  I work for one of the campuses that hosts a lot of non-University events at our arena, including a large statewide high school dance competition.  All contracts are being cancelled.  We understand that USC and Stanford are doing the same.  Both the Pac 12 and Big West basketball tournaments will be held without spectators.  I can't believe UD is going to permit WGI to be held in their arena, but who knows?  

I hear a lot of scholastic teams have already pulled out of Dayton.

7 hours ago, year1buick said:

I’m a little concerned as well. Sure, I wear the proper PPE, but when you hear so much talk about how ineffective the masks are against filtering the viral particles, and that they still aren’t sure as to whether asymptomatic carriers can transmit it AND you spend all day with your face in other people’s faces, as you run a drill, with water spray, that is constantly creating an invisible aerosol of water and saliva all around you and... yeah... I think about it. 

That reminds me..my six month checkup is Monday.