Coronavirus

25 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I think we all need to be prepared that this up coming DCI season just might not happen. 

Move ins are still two months away and the first show over three months. Still way too early to make that assumption. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I saw a chart on Facebook that said there have been no cases diagnosed in China since 3/6.  I don’t know if that’s accurate.  

Checking on the status of Japan, Aus., NZ, and other countries as you go eastward, or westward for that matter, is probably being done now to see if this is a trend.

• Like 1

Agree with those who say we are seeing an overreaction, but it “is what it is” and all we can do is watch. The Indy Finals are still pretty far off. However . . . 

perhaps canceling the first part of the season.  Just one short tour leading into Indy.

serious housing problems.

The corps housing piece in public schools will be problematic. School Boards and local parents will be reluctant to involve their facilities. Corps will be seen as ‘strangers, some even foreign kids.’  If used, School Boards will be expected to disinfect the gyms and other areas. Added, and unnecessary expenses for an unnecessary risk.

The solution might be housing corps in hotels.  Room prices will surely drop in times like this.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, today said that the first trials will start in 45-60 days but also: "In order to get a vaccine that's practically deployable... it's going to be at least a year to a year and a half, at best."

Emphasis added.

I specifically referred to a vaccine, not to antiviral drugs.

Vaccines keep you from catching the disease in the first place.

Antivirals fight the virus once you've caught the disease.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Simultaneously as Dr Fauci was making his off-the-cuff remarks, Gilead announced clinical PHASE 3 trials  (NOT Phase 1) that would measure comparisons of immediate results to results from patients released after 14 days.  The second two parts of the trials are expected to conclude in May, at about the same time that Dr Fauci estimates that the "first trials" will begin.

The fog of war is thick, and all war plans are invalid the moment the shelling starts.

UPDATE:  Today, Dr. Fauci testified in front of Congress.  "...treatments will be available sooner", he said.  He must have left that out of his comments 16 days ago.

As someone else pointed out, he's not talking here about vaccines.

Also that would be the same testimony today where Fauci said this:

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

I think we all need to be prepared [...]

Fauci also said today that there should be no audiences at NBA games.

And he emphasized that COVID-19 is ten times deadlier than the seasonal flu.

And he urged communities to mitigate even if they only have a few (or no) cases: "If we wait until we have many many more cases, we will be weeks behind... We have to change our behavior. We have to essentially assume we are going to get hit."

Here in Cleveland our big film festival, which is normally attended by more than 100,000 people over two weeks, has just announced it won't run.

And hey, I would LOVE for all the bad news and dire predictions to be wrong. Fewer sick and dead Americans would be a wonderful thing.

I just think it's foolish to expect that and not to aggressively plan for the worst.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I saw a chart on Facebook that said there have been no cases diagnosed in China since 3/6.  I don’t know if that’s accurate.  

I haven't seen that claim specifically, and I'm a little skeptical, but it might be true. That said, certainly China, though its extraordinary measures (of a kind we can't really use in a free society), and after a hugely botched initial non-response, does seem largely to have contained the virus. Now they have to worry about reinfection. They might have to ban travelers from countries where the virus is still spreading. Irony, I guess.

China's initial response (and Iran's, and possibly Italy's and other countries') was a bit like this:

It appears the country to emulate is South Korea.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1