Coronavirus

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The NBA just suspended their season until further notice. 

Watching NHL channel now and they said a Utah Jazz player has tested positive for coronavirus. It’s a preliminary test and needs to be verified (just repeating what I’m hearing) but yow. 
Now talk on if NHL will follow suit....

edit: bringing up point that some NHL and NBA teams share arenas.... oh oh

Edited by JimF-LowBari

22 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The schools charge for their facilities, right?  So maybe they just raise the cost to cover this service.

No way, IMO. If they don't allow their own activities to proceed, as many are already cancelling them, I really doubt letting a travelling group of 200'ish people to sleep in their schools is going to happen at a LOT of locations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

No way, IMO. If they don't allow their own activities to proceed, as many are already cancelling them, I really doubt letting a travelling group of 200'ish people to sleep in their schools is going to happen at a LOT of locations. 

You are so correct. People need to realize that this activity we love is not exempt from what is transpiring hour to hour. Yeah it feels like a bad dream but this is not going away anytime soon. 

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Yeah, and I wanted to be an airline pilot, too.  But then, big life decisions.  Drum corps teaches those.

Life lesson?  Don't wait until your rook-out year in either drum corps or life.

So easy to say when you've gotten yours. It's interesting, I've done/taught marching band which taught me to make things work when things go wrong, but I guess doing drum corps will teach me to just give up and accept adversity.

And you're right, rather than marching the year I could with respect to other obligations and when I could afford it, I should have ignored responsibilities and spent money I didn't have to march years ago! $5000 is nothing.

I don't necessarily think your pilot story is equivalent but I appreciate the patronizing tone. You don't have to tell me that life doesn't go how you plan, that's pretty obvious. Sorry you gave up on your dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Grow up.  Move on.  Life is a crap-shoot.  Get used to it.  Refund proportional member fees net of expenses paid, shut down the year, go on vacation, re-build for next year.

I wonder, what would attendance be if there were ONE week of shows, in the Oil Can, to settle the entire year, in August?  I'm dreaming, for sure.

EDIT: Not directed at you, Newseditor44.  There seem to be some sensitive souls around the thread.

Tell that to a kid who auditioned last September for a new guard (1st year) worked all winter JUST started competitions (I think 2 done) getting ready for another regional and bam.  It’s all gone, done for their WGI age out. Not even going to mention the cost for starting the guard. So yeah let’s just say no big deal, life is a crap shoot.  Just go home.

Keep dreaming or maybe just grow up yourself.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Tell that to a kid who auditioned last September for a new guard (1st year) worked all winter JUST started competitions (I think 2 done) getting ready for another regional and bam.  It’s all gone, done for their WGI age out. Not even going to mention the cost for starting the guard. So yeah let’s just say no big deal, life is a crap shoot.  Just go home.

Keep dreaming or maybe just grow up yourself.

So what is your solution?  

This media-fueled hysteria is the biggest overreaction to anything I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.  The reaction is just way out of line from anything we’ve seen before.

This sucks and I’m beyond depressed with all this talk. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Tommeee said:

This media-fueled hysteria is the biggest overreaction to anything I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.  The reaction is just way out of line from anything we’ve seen before.

This sucks and I’m beyond depressed with all this talk. 

I’m super depressed, too.  It would be helpful if Jim didn’t watch the news nonstop. I’d rather watch a movie and get away from this for a hot minute.

• Like 1

NBA suspended    the season because a player is positive of the virus. Nobody doesn’t know how long he had it but because he was an active player more players are probably infected. 

Edited by DFA1970

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

NBA suspended    the season because a player is positive of the virus. Nobody doesn’t know how long he had it but because he was an active player more players are probably infected. 

I’m no scientist but I’ll bet this stuff has been spreading around here since January. 

• Like 1