Coronavirus

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m no scientist but I’ll bet this stuff has been spreading around here since January. 

Absolutely. I don’t get scared easily but this really is kinda freaking me out only because the unknown, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

Oh to to freak people out but just read Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson today reported the tested positive for the virus. 

We need some levity so...

I was thinking that he survived on a desert island, was wounded in Vietnam, and was almost stranded in space on the way to the moon, so this stuff should be easy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Sure, everyone wishes that the Chinese government would have acknowledged Covid 19 earlier and contained it, but they didn't for reasons that I cant mention due to board rules. 

You mean because it's racist, and you'd be immediately reported?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

This media-fueled hysteria is the biggest overreaction to anything I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.  The reaction is just way out of line from anything we’ve seen before.

This sucks and I’m beyond depressed with all this talk. 

Do nothing and one million Americans will die.

Do too little and tens of thousands will die -- and millions will be seriously ill.

It's a pretty communicable disease with a death rate (0.5%) five times higher than the flu (0.1%) even with the best possible official response (as in South Korea).

When the response is too slow, the death rate goes up as much as a hundredfold (3%-5%), as seen in Hubei province in China and in northern Italy.

Why?

Because hospitals quickly become overwhelmed.

20% of all cases require hospitalization. That's too many for the capacity in any country.

As a result, in Italy, they're having to let old people die so that they can focus on treating younger patients.

Not enough ventilators to go around.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The President of the United States just suspended air travel to Europe for a month. I don't actually know whether how much that particular response will help, but it's a big deal! And it suggests that he's convinced that the problem is very serious.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m super depressed, too.  It would be helpful if Jim didn’t watch the news nonstop. I’d rather watch a movie and get away from this for a hot minute.

Yeah I have two websites that show variety of links from all spectrums (IOW both wings and the middle) and some local. Go there when I want, for as long as I want and only read what interests me. If I want more detail I google. 

Worked with a guy who thought “his” news channel was the only one that wanted the “truth” to be told. I told him all of them just want the rating$. Next sound was his head exploding. IOW coronavirus is the hot item so that’s it for now. Glad the “news” channels are in a row numerically on my cable. Makes it easier to skip them

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah I have two websites that show variety of links from all spectrums (IOW both wings and the middle) and some local. Go there when I want, for as long as I want and only read what interests me. If I want more detail I google. 

Worked with a guy who thought “his” news channel was the only one that wanted the “truth” to be told. I told him all of them just want the rating$. Next sound was his head exploding. IOW coronavirus is the hot item so that’s it for now. Glad the “news” channels are in a row numerically on my cable. Makes it easier to skip them

From your mouth to God’s ears. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

From your mouth to God’s ears. 

Getting old and cranky is a hoot ain’t it... 😛

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

This media-fueled hysteria is the biggest overreaction to anything I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.  The reaction is just way out of line from anything we’ve seen before.

This sucks and I’m beyond depressed with all this talk. 

You absolutely have no idea what you're talking about and you look foolish. Every infectious disease expert on the PLANET is in agreement that we are just cresting the lift hill of this roller coaster. The terrifying ride is about to begin.

From Carlos del Rio:

A few thoughts after hearing Trump: at this point, we are past containment. Containment is basically futile. Containment efforts won’t reduce the number who get infected in the US. Now we’re just trying to slow the spread, help healthcare providers deal with the demand peak. Social distancing is critical now to "flatten the curve", to lower the peak of the surge of demand that will hit healthcare providers. And to buy time, in hopes a drug can be developed. How many in the community already have the virus? No one knows. We are in mitigation now. We are currently where at where Italy was a week ago. 40-70% of US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. After that level we will start to get herd immunity. Unlike flu this is entirely novel to humans, so there is no latent immunity in the global population.

Mortality is deceiving. Assume 50% of US population infected, that’s 160M people infected. With 1% mortality rate that's 1.6M Americans dying over the next 12-18 months. Death rate varies hugely by age. Over age 80 mortality could be 10-15%.

I conclude with four things I am certain now: 1. it’s going to get worse before it gets better; 2. we'll be dealing with this for the next year at least; 3. Our lives are going to look different for the next year; 4. This too will be over.

Who's Carlos del Rio? He's the executive associate dean for Emory School of Medicine at Grady Memorial Hospital, the largest hospital in Atlanta, GA and one that works closely with the CDC.

Source: https://twitter.com/CarlosdelRio7/status/1237921805903564800

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1