Coronavirus

58 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If we are all going to die, why do we need so much toilet paper?

It might snow (Central PA joke)...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

One thing I don’t understand (and this is an honest question - no trolling)...

Why is the reaction now different than when H1N1/Swine Flu was around in 2009 - 2010?  

H1N1 was more deadly, yet the reaction wasn’t anywhere close to what is happening now.

Not trying to be political either, just an honest question.

Two major differences:

H1N1 was an influenza variant. Which meant that some portions of the population already had at least partial immunity, and the extant influenza vaccines and medications had at least some effect on treating the infected. COVID-19 is a novel (meaning "new") coronavirus. It is a mutation so unlike any other coronavirus known to man that no one on the planet has any immune antibodies for it, and there are no vaccines or drugs designed to treat it (yet).

COVID-19 is much more contagious. In infectious disease research there is something called an R0 ("R naught") number, that measures/estimates how many new people get sick from contact with an infected person. The R0 rating for the 21st Century H1N1 outbreak was 1.4-1.6. The R0 rating for the "Spanish Flu" H1N1 outbreak of 1918-1919 was 2.5-3.0. The R0 rating for COVID-19 is being estimated at 3.0-4.0 right now. This disease spreads VERY easily and is VERY durable outside the human body (initial research shows COVID-19 viruses surviving for up to 3 hours in air and up to 3 days on certain surfaces). Or to put it another way: if a disease with 10% mortality but a low R0 infects 500,000 people you'll end up with 50,000 dead. But if a disease with only 1% mortality and a high R0 infects 100 million people you end up with 1 million dead.

(Side note: the disease with the highest known R0, i.e. the most contagious disease we have discovered, is measles with an R0 value of 18. Followed by pertussis/whooping cough with an R0 of 16. Always get your vaccines, people.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

If we are all going to die, why do we need so much toilet paper?

Somebody has to clean up the poop! You saw that episode of South Park when Chef died.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Personal observation here. From reports seen and read, the pattern seems to be events taking place through April are being severely limited, or cancelled. As if, the expectation is by May, we will be closing in on normal behavior.  Who can be sure, though?

My point is, the Indy Finals is pretty far outside that window.  However, even with a shortened season leading to Indy, events would still be negatively affected, but nothing fatal to the activity. Problems with housing, gate receipts, merchandise revenue, for sure this summer.

Guessing the season status will be based on conditions in May, not before.  Thoughts?

Yeah - based on how things are changing literally by the day right now, it's way too far out to guess at the moment.  DCI does carry two major red flags though - national travel and large crowd gatherings.  Seeing as how right now sports leagues are projecting about one month out, I agree that May-ish will likely be the decision point.

Mike

COVID-19: How does coronavirus compare to other outbreaks?

https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/covid-19-how-does-coronavirus-compare-to-other-outbreaks

18 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Yeah - based on how things are changing literally by the day right now, it's way too far out to guess at the moment.  DCI does carry two major red flags though - national travel and large crowd gatherings.  Seeing as how right now sports leagues are projecting about one month out, I agree that May-ish will likely be the decision point.

Mike

My swag (simple wild ###ed guess) is the actual virus will pass by the time the season starts. But corps will be way behind being ready due to loss of camps, etc. Plus rest of the country and economy will be in recovery mode and that will affect touring and crowd size and ability to get schools and other facilities 

Coronavirus update: March 12, 2020

Drum Corps International is continuing to monitor the impact of COVID-19 across the country. Specifically, we are following the quickly evolving developments at all levels as well as the ongoing determinations by local and national public health officials. We are also receiving tremendous assistance from our extended network of career healthcare professionals working through the Marching Music Health, Wellness & Safety Project.

Our top priority remains the health and safety of everyone in the DCI community.

DCI will continue to adhere to all national directives and incorporate the guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public health authorities, and physicians to ensure the safety of our performers, staff, volunteers, partners, audience members, and everyone associated with DCI’s nationwide operational structure.

With so many schools and events affected at this point, we understand that many in the DCI community are concerned about the 2020 Summer Tour, which begins three months from now. While there have already been some disruptions to rehearsal camps for the individual corps this month depending on their geographic locations, there will likely be more impact on spring activities. However, at this point, we are continuing to plan for a 2020 DCI Summer Tour.

We share in the disappointment of all those at WGI-Sport of the Arts on the decision to cancel the 2020 WGI World Championships and other scheduled events. We understand that the decision was extremely difficult, and we salute the thousands of passionate performers, instructors, and administrators around the world who devote their winter months to elevating their standards of excellence.

As the situation unfolds over the coming days and weeks, we will continue to work with corps administrators, tour event partners, stadium managers, and hundreds of housing site hosts from coast to coast to assess all available information and make necessary adjustments.

We will continue to provide updates at DCI.org and through our social media chan

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Personal observation here. From reports seen and read, the pattern seems to be events taking place through April are being severely limited, or cancelled. As if, the expectation is by May, we will be closing in on normal behavior.  Who can be sure, though?

My point is, the Indy Finals is pretty far outside that window.  However, even with a shortened season leading to Indy, events would still be negatively affected, but nothing fatal to the activity. Problems with housing, gate receipts, merchandise revenue, for sure this summer.

Guessing the season status will be based on conditions in May, not before.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Mike

A number of colleges are canceling any "outside activity" till June.

I don't think there's any way to guarantee a corps won't lose a housing site or venue at anytime.

More and more places are canceling events,including conference basketball tournaments or banning fans.

Personally,given all the uncertainty,I don't think a "lets wait and see, and hope for the best" is the most prudent approach.

I would hope DCI and the corps are in constant communication with  housing sites and

venues to keep up with the situation "in real time".

If it does look like there may be problems,better to be safe then sorry.

Several people,including me me,have posted of the potential of a positive test when a corps is

at a housing site.

Or,what if housing falls through for one or more events,leaving corps stranded ?

Edited by rpbobcat

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Perhaps some won’t continue. DCI should be planning regionally and less touring. Might change the dynamic of these organizations for the better. 

Yup. I have been an advocate of regionalizing drum corps for many years 

Edited by FlamMan