Coronavirus

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I heard we have one in the next county over.  Nothing in Dupage county so far but I expect that will change soon enough.  

That's my county. 

Edited by FlamMan

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

amazed DCA can survive getting 1000 paid at finals as is

DCA finals only draws 1000??? Wow.

The fear that a lot of industries and organizations have is that after this virus situation is gone, will things all return to the way they were? For example, I know a teacher who is concerned and worried that if students go to virtual learning while everything is on lockdown during the virus, perhaps some people might think that that is the future of education and we may not need brick and mortar schools and teachers. You could literally have thousands of students at home on I pads being taught by one person. Anyway, it's interesting to think about things like this at least for me.

• Like 2

While this topic is highly appropriate, let’s keep to how it interferes with drum corps and not delve into the political spectrum

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The fear that a lot of industries and organizations have is that after this virus situation is gone, will things all return to the way they were? For example, I know a teacher who is concerned and worried that if students go to virtual learning while everything is on lockdown during the virus, perhaps some people might think that that is the future of education and we may not need brick and mortar schools and teachers. You could literally have thousands of students at home on I pads being taught by one person. Anyway, it's interesting to think about things like this at least for me.

I would be more concerned that the economy will be in such poor condition that little would be able to return to the "way they were"

Coronavirus update: March 12, 2020

Drum Corps International is continuing to monitor the impact of COVID-19 across the country. Specifically, we are following the quickly evolving developments at all levels as well as the ongoing determinations by local and national public health officials. We are also receiving tremendous assistance from our extended network of career healthcare professionals working through the Marching Music Health, Wellness & Safety Project.

Our top priority remains the health and safety of everyone in the DCI community.

DCI will continue to adhere to all national directives and incorporate the guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public health authorities, and physicians to ensure the safety of our performers, staff, volunteers, partners, audience members, and everyone associated with DCI’s nationwide operational structure.

With so many schools and events affected at this point, we understand that many in the DCI community are concerned about the 2020 Summer Tour, which begins three months from now. While there have already been some disruptions to rehearsal camps for the individual corps this month depending on their geographic locations, there will likely be more impact on spring activities. However, at this point, we are continuing to plan for a 2020 DCI Summer Tour.

We share in the disappointment of all those at WGI-Sport of the Arts on the decision to cancel the 2020 WGI World Championships and other scheduled events. We understand that the decision was extremely difficult, and we salute the thousands of passionate performers, instructors, and administrators around the world who devote their winter months to elevating their standards of excellence.

As the situation unfolds over the coming days and weeks, we will continue to work with corps administrators, tour event partners, stadium managers, and hundreds of housing site hosts from coast to coast to assess all available information and make necessary adjustments.

We will continue to provide updates at DCI.org and through our social media chain

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

It's almost becoming surreal.  Like we are living in a movie. 

I watched the following movie last night;

Contagion (2011) - IMDb

Contagion (2011) 
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/
PG-13 - 1h 46min - Action, Drama, Sci-Fi - 9 September 2011 (USA)

Rating: 6.6/10 

Director: Steven Soderbergh
Writer: Scott Z. Burns
Stars: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow

Storyline

Soon after her return from a business trip to Hong Kong, Beth Emhoff dies from what is a flu or some other type of infection. Her young son dies later the same day. Her husband Mitch however seems immune. Thus begins the spread of a deadly infection. For doctors and administrators at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, several days pass before anyone realizes the extent or gravity of this new infection. They must first identify the type of virus in question and then find a means of combating it, a process that will likely take several months. As the contagion spreads to millions of people worldwide, societal order begins to break down as people panic. Written by garykmcd 
I was astonished how close the plot of this movie was to this situation. I might of thought it was a documentary. The movie can be found on the torrent sites.

Yes it's a movie but ............

But I did learn;

● I have to be vigilant about what I touch, just going to the supermarket (will definitely stock up on disposable latex gloves)

● Being more careful in contact with people who are not as careful as I am about touching things

● How fast this can spread, to millions in just hours

● A better understanding of what the CDC is dealing with to try discover, replicate to find a vaccine, and test

● The chaos that can ensue as people search for food, medicine, water, etc.

And all of this from a banana, a bat, a pig and a restaurant chef ........ pretty scary

Surreal just went to supermarket I usually don’t hit as out of my way. Not sure if moving items or the entire toilet paper stock has been nailed. Just a few singles left....

people be nutz.....

• Like 1