Coronavirus

Just now, cixelsyd said:

National Hockey League now pressing "pause".

Big 10 cancelled their tournament...as did the ACC, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC...

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Personal observation here. From reports seen and read, the pattern seems to be events taking place through April are being severely limited, or cancelled. As if, the expectation is by May, we will be closing in on normal behavior.  Who can be sure, though?

My point is, the Indy Finals is pretty far outside that window.  However, even with a shortened season leading to Indy, events would still be negatively affected, but nothing fatal to the activity. Problems with housing, gate receipts, merchandise revenue, for sure this summer.

Guessing the season status will be based on conditions in May, not before.  Thoughts?

I'm not hopeful for any kind of a Marching season simply because it takes essentially from December to June for the corps' to produce a field product. We might see some kind of standstill type shows like the Seniors have done in the the past but even then, that would require completely different type of show facilities since it would be indoor. That would take some time to book.

26 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

I would be more concerned that the economy will be in such poor condition that little would be able to return to the "way they were"

Yes.  Many things could be fundamentally changed forever because of this.

• Like 1

Watch the TPC Sawgrass today!  No gallery period.  PGA suspends audience through the Valero, April 2nd and will make a determination regarding the Master's.   

Thanks for your input, Rich.  I am still hopeful of a marching season. I expect it to be fewer weeks long and involve fewer participating corps. Corps with many younger-age members will see drop-outs and probably not go to the expense of long distance travel.

Who knows?  Maybe a single day use of the Indy dome stadium to pare back expenses. A solid, 15 corps line-up, with the winner declared Champion, would probably sell 15,000 tickets, itself. Still enable CDs/Blu-rays to sell, and a DCI Marketplace opportunity.

Interesting times.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

York, PA just cancelled Saturday St Patrick Days parade. Not a big parade but actually has a corps (Hanover Lancers) in pre-parade standstill and the parade. April 4th Lancers scheduled for their 100th birthday standstill show in York. At a theater that’s part of Penn State York so not holding my breath as PSU main is also making changes because of coronavirus.

39 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The fear that a lot of industries and organizations have is that after this virus situation is gone, will things all return to the way they were? For example, I know a teacher who is concerned and worried that if students go to virtual learning while everything is on lockdown during the virus, perhaps some people might think that that is the future of education and we may not need brick and mortar schools and teachers. You could literally have thousands of students at home on I pads being taught by one person. Anyway, it's interesting to think about things like this at least for me.

Business’s have already been moving towards employees "Teleworking" from home as their business models allow simply because we are becoming more global and more populated.

I equate this to how "Drum Corps" has evolved. I think everyone will find they can function just as well without being "on site in a campus building" which reduces the need for so much campus real estate. I expect we will see much more of this touching all parts of our lives.

• Like 1