Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Moderators, do you have anything to add this politically charged banter?

Already reported one myself, please feel free to add to the pile.... Can’t even ask a serious question here...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Already reported one myself, please feel free to add to the pile.... Can’t even ask a serious question here...

There are some on here who consistently make innuendos yet are the first to call out anything that goes against what they preach. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, kkrepps said:

Forsythia  (The umbrella corporation doesn't want you to know this)

Really?  My wife is going to love hearing this.  We use forsythia oils all over the place (and others, too).  Thanks for the hint to Google...

19 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That's because there is nothing else he can take.

There is no vaccine. There is no cure other than letting your body fight off the infection -- and treating the symptoms.

A vaccine has to be administered a minimum of weeks-to months so antibodies can develop to recognize & then fight off a future infection (the exception is rabies vaccine, because the virus moves slowly via the nervous system, so you have a bit of time to vaccinate post-exposure).

Treating the symptoms is almost always the approach taken for viruses, whether the common cold, or ebola. 

Stay hydrated, control fever w/ aspirin or acetaminophen.  Maintain airway --Yes, this will require hospital in severe cases; and this is how most of the fatalities are occurring.  Individuals with underlying respiratory conditions such as emphysema, COPD, or congestive heart failure, usually of somewhat advanced age, have enough trouble already getting molecular oxygen to their mitochondria.  So a respiratory infection can be life-threatening.  Another susceptible group is individuals with compromised immune systems.  But for the vast majority of the US population I really don't think it will not be that dangerous.  So why all the fatalities in China & Italy?  One factor could be smoking - both countries have a 24% smoking rate (in China it is close to 50% of males & 2% females; Italy pretty balanced male/female; US 17%  Data from https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/smoking-rates-by-country/).  Can smoking impact lung function??  Hmmmm - 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MikeN said:

Then maybe your town should invest in community WiFi?

Mike

Lol just talked to my sister and her hubby works for the state. State is talking about having everyone work from home but.... sis and b-i-l don’t have cable or internet due to house being in middle of 20 some acre field like rest of neighborhood. So burn up the data plan or work from MickeyDs and use their WiFi (kidding). Maybe DishTV should look into internet plans lol

edit: quoted MikeN as he had last post on a subtopic yesterday....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Continental said:

I will buy a lottery ticket to celebrate you and I being on the same page. 

Ha!  Me, too!  And, when we win, we won't be able to leave the house to enjoy the winnings!

Yea!

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol just talked to my sister and her hubby works for the state. State is talking about having everyone work from home but.... sis and b-i-l don’t have cable or internet due to house being in middle of 20 some acre field like rest of neighborhood. So burn up the data plan or work from MickeyDs and use their WiFi (kidding). Maybe DishTV should look into internet plans lol

edit: quoted MikeN as he had last post on a subtopic yesterday....

Elon Musk is in process of fixing that for them

https://www.zdnet.com/article/fast-affordable-internet-from-the-sky-is-almost-here/

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat here....

Please refrain from making political commentary as it goes against guidelines. 

The only thing more difficult than our complying with these guidelines is your enforcing them in a way that maintains order without elevating controversy.  Thanks for your ever-patient vigilance and understanding.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Stay hydrated, control fever w/ aspirin or acetaminophen.  Maintain airway --Yes, this will require hospital in severe cases; and this is how most of the fatalities are occurring.  Individuals with underlying respiratory conditions such as emphysema, COPD, or congestive heart failure, usually of somewhat advanced age, have enough trouble already getting molecular oxygen to their mitochondria.  So a respiratory infection can be life-threatening.  Another susceptible group is individuals with compromised immune systems.  But for the vast majority of the US population I really don't think it will not be that dangerous.  So why all the fatalities in China & Italy?  One factor could be smoking - both countries have a 24% smoking rate (in China it is close to 50% of males & 2% females; Italy pretty balanced male/female; US 17%  Data from https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/smoking-rates-by-country/).  Can smoking impact lung function??  Hmmmm -

Naturally I hope you're right. I raised the question about how smoking (and also air pollution) might affect the situation some 15 days ago, way back on page 9 of this (currently) 89-page thread, where after posting some early information I'd read on that subject, I said "it might make a big difference in mortality in this country."