Coronavirus

It occurs to me that one thing that seems to check all the boxes of things not to do would be to attend the funeral of someone who passed away with this virus.  It is a gathering of people in close quarters who may have had contact with an infected person going around shaking hands, crying and blowing their noses, and closely hugging each other.

Might be a good time to perfect the virtual funeral.  

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It occurs to me that one thing that seems to check all the boxes of things not to do would be to attend the funeral of someone who passed away with this virus.  It is a gathering of people in close quarters who may have had contact with an infected person going around shaking hands, crying and blowing their noses, and closely hugging each other.

Might be a good time to perfect the virtual funeral.  

When I die, be it 15 min or 15 years, I want a Viking Flaming Boat Funeral.  Everyone can shoot a flaming arrow, and I decree no Vikings can touch another Viking.

• Haha 3

I usually scoff at the idea of throwback shows, but it seems like if there ever was a time to do it now is the time.  Use the remaining camps & spring training to install a pared down visual program and let the instruments carry things this season.  The corps could still get on the road, still make money, and - unlike NCAA sports - not cheat age outs from their final season.

Serious question here. 10 years ago the H1N1 swine flu killed 12'000 Americans, hospitalized 300,000, and infected 60 million. Essentially nothing was done during that situation and not a single event was canceled or shutdown.

Corona virus has killed about 40 Americans, and infected about 1500 with a minimal number hospitalized yet we have a hysteric emergency with everything being canceled.

Why the huge difference?

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Naturally I hope you're right. I raised the question about how smoking (and also air pollution) might affect the situation some 15 days ago, way back on page 9 of this (currently) 89-page thread, where after posting some early information I'd read on that subject, I said "it might make a big difference in mortality in this country."

However, the CDC's worst-case estimates* are that anywhere between 200,000 and 1.7 million Americans could die of COVID-19.

But a MAJOR point to remember is that those estimates assume no change in behavior or official response.

Taking steps like closing schools and crowded events will make a huge difference.

Just getting people to wash their hands multiple times every day will cut the number of deaths.

As someone said yesterday, when you take the appropriate steps to prevent a disaster, the disaster doesn't happen, and then people complain that you overreacted.

We should have taken the drastic steps that states have recently been announcing much sooner.

Even under the best-case scenarios, we're probably still going to look back on 2020 as an awful year.

* https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/coronavirus-deaths-estimate.html

• Thanks 3

With all of the schools canceling, who is going to stay home with all of those kids? HALF THE FREAKING WORK FORCE!!!!! 

Sorry for the screaming😂

seriously, though, this may and likely will throw us into another Great Depression and that is *really* scary. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Serious question here. 10 years ago the H1N1 swine flu killed 1000 Americans, hospitalized 300,000, and infected 60 million. Essentially nothing was done during that situation and not a single event was canceled or shutdown.

Corona virus has killed about 40 Americans, and infected about 1500 with a minimal number hospitalized yet we have a hysteric emergency with everything being canceled.

Why the huge difference?

Actually,the number of US deaths was over 12,000

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Serious question here. 10 years ago the H1N1 swine flu killed 1000 Americans, hospitalized 300,000, and infected 60 million. Essentially nothing was done during that situation and not a single event was canceled or shutdown.

Why the huge difference?

Problem isn’t the current count. Problem is how bad it could get if steps are not taken. Check state of Italian hospitals with having to decide which patient should get hospital assets.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

Why the huge difference?

1. It's not true that nothing was done. Swine flu was declared a public health emergency by the federal government on Apr. 26, 2009, which was 14 days after the first case was discovered, when there were only 20 known cases (but probably a lot more undetected) and before anyone had died from it. Two days after that, Congress was presented with the initial budget request to fund an emergency response, and the bill that was passed was $7.65 billion, a little less than the COVID-19 funding bill that was passed by the current Congress and signed into law by the President one week ago today. (COVID-19 was first identified in December and the first U.S. case was in January.)

2. Way more than 1,500 Americans are currently infected with COVID-19.