Coronavirus

12 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

seriously, though, this may and likely will throw us into another Great Depression and that is *really* scary. 

If that is true, it will kill a lot more people in the long run than letting it run its course.

• Like 2

Social Media was not as powerful as it is today.  Information today (whether real or imagined) can lead to greater good..or greater panic.  This applies to all things unfortunately, not just Covid-19.  We won't ever know if the unprecedented level of response (NBA, MLB, Concerts, public gathering etc. cancelled) will have had an impact that is warranted by this response.  On the one had, some will say if it saves one life of a person who didn't die because the disease didn't spread due to shutdowns then it is worth it.  If it is your parent, child, etc then I can understand that response.  On the other hand, people will lose their jobs, houses, retirement and more.  I know I don't have the answer to what is it worth to save lives.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

1. It's not true that nothing was done. Swine flu was declared a public health emergency by the federal government on Apr. 26, 2009, which was 14 days after the first case was discovered, when there were only 20 known cases (but probably a lot more undetected) and before anyone had died from it. Two days after that, Congress was presented with the initial budget request to fund an emergency response, and the bill that was passed was $7.65 billion, a little less than the COVID-19 funding bill that was passed by the current Congress and signed into law by the President one week ago today. (COVID-19 was first identified in December and the first U.S. case was in January.)

2. Way more than 1,500 Americans are currently infected with COVID-19.

He said essentially nothing was done and obviously meant little was done compared to all the things happening now.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

With all of the schools canceling, who is going to stay home with all of those kids? HALF THE FREAKING WORK FORCE!!!!! 

Sorry for the screaming😂

seriously, though, this may and likely will throw us into another Great Depression and that is *really* scary. 

No, it won't throw us into another Great Depression.  You can relax about the economy.

I agree that, if this event actually did have the voracity to throw us into another Great Depression, it would be very scary.

10 minutes ago, skevinp said:

He said essentially nothing was done and obviously meant little was done compared to all the things happening now.  

Well he was essential wrong. Obviously. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, skevinp said:

Sorry for writing like an 18th century novel.  Had been binge watching Sanditon for hours.

BTW, if you have a chance to watch it, pass on that chance.  The ending is just godawful terrible.  

Oh man, you are so right. After the last episode, my wife, sister and I just looked at each other with a “What the hell was that?” expression on our faces.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, it won't throw us into another Great Depression.  You can relax about the economy.

I agree that, if this event actually did have the voracity to throw us into another Great Depression, it would be very scary.

Ironically, drum corps was very popular and active during the Great Buying Opportunity.

24 minutes ago, Drumcorpdad62 said:

Social Media was not as powerful as it is today.  Information today (whether real or imagined) can lead to greater good..or greater panic.  This applies to all things unfortunately, not just Covid-19.  We won't ever know if the unprecedented level of response (NBA, MLB, Concerts, public gathering etc. cancelled) will have had an impact that is warranted by this response.  On the one had, some will say if it saves one life of a person who didn't die because the disease didn't spread due to shutdowns then it is worth it.  If it is your parent, child, etc then I can understand that response.  On the other hand, people will lose their jobs, houses, retirement and more.  I know I don't have the answer to what is it worth to save lives.  

One fallacy of the “if it saves just one life” argument is that it disregards all the lives ultimately lost as a result of the actions it is used to justify.  

Another problem with the argument it assumes a happy life has no more value than a miserable one.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the + side billionaire Jack Ma the richest man in China and founder of Alibaba is donating 500,000 Coronavirus Test Kits and 1 M, masks to the US.

A positive gesture along with good business practice .  At least it's something!

6 minutes ago, inbetween said:

Well he was essential wrong. Obviously. 

Respectfully but strongly disagree.   Were schools closed all over?  Were millions of people told to stay home from work?  Were sports seasons ended?  Were theme parks closed?  Were there nearly daily press conferences by teams of experts?  Was there non-stop media coverage of practically nothing else?  Did the stock market have to take Vraylar?  Did NE Brigand wear out two keyboards and give himself carpal tunnel syndrome?  

• Haha 4