Coronavirus

12 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

IMO this will end up being the weakest, with the fewest deaths of all pandemics in history. All these cancellations are to instill fear and are unnecessary.  

Naturally, though, the only rational course for a country as prosperous as the US is the most conservative one.  I'm not sure how we'll measure "weakest" but fewer deaths will likely be credited to the actions that ARE taken.  We can't prove the negative.  Or, rather, most of us don't want to prove the negative of more deaths (other than the mods.  The mods love death, destruction, and Spartacus).

One GREAT thing is exposing the dependence we have on China for critical goods and supplies.  Another great thing is that we watched and observed and didn't over-react, either.  And a REALLY great thing is that it looks like Covid will have run its escalation course long before the drum corps season has to be called off.  Missing March is not a season-killer, I wouldn't think.  

Most everyone would rather have a little less-clean drum corps season than no season at all.  (I think even the mods agree with that.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well if that does come true be prepared for months of arguing why. Was it because steps were taken or because it wasn’t that big of a deal. The hell is we will probably never know.

And that is trying to prove the negative.  There's no real way to know that it would have been worse and no one in their right mind would stand back and try to prove it on the lives of those most vulnerable.  There really is no choice but to act.

But the action does not have to be as much or as quick as the initial estimates would demand, either.  There are benefits to the statisticians to prolong case discovery in order to not overload the system.  Another benefit is to allow time for a second round of reasoned decision-making that's based on more than one set of data facts.

Unfortunately, drum corps participants have a clock ticking.  Our season isn't over...yet.  Time isn't on drum corps' side. 

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

And that is trying to prove the negative.  There's no real way to know that it would have been worse and no one in their right mind would stand back and try to prove it on the lives of those most vulnerable.  There really is no choice but to act.

But the action does not have to be as much or as quick as the initial estimates would demand, either.  There are benefits to the statisticians to prolong case discovery in order to not overload the system.  Another benefit is to allow time for a second round of reasoned decision-making that's based on more than one set of data facts.

Unfortunately, drum corps participants have a clock ticking.  Our season isn't over...yet.  Time isn't on drum corps' side. 

Benefits to prolong case discovery?

Will let you explain that as just heard a report about lack test kits so only the most sick are tested some places. IOW some people with it are not checked....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Imagine this forum if the season is cancelled. What do we complain...opps....pardon...talk about? 

it's DCP. we'll find something

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

IMO this will end up being the weakest, with the fewest deaths of all pandemics in history. All these cancellations are to instill fear and are unnecessary.  

You are absolutely right.  I think you need to run right down to the CDC and shake them up and show them how wrong they are.  And that Fauci guy, what does he know?  You need to straighten him out too.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

No, it won't throw us into another Great Depression.  You can relax about the economy.

I agree that, if this event actually did have the voracity to throw us into another Great Depression, it would be very scary.

mandatory closures will affect spending. not seeing many places offering to still pay people if they cant work, or worse small business or commission folks

• Like 1

PA closing schools. Trump declaring an emergency.

not even gonna try and get customers on the phone, rates are sky rocketing

51 minutes ago, garfield said:

Did you ever see that Seinfeld episode where Kramer got those boxes of rejected condoms?

Test kits and masks from the country that kept their knowledge of the Covid-19 secret and, to this day, refuses to release the info on patient #1 in order to trace the history of the virus.

No thanks.  I watched Seinfeld.

Jack Ma is not the Chinese Government.

I wonder if people will have the same attitude once the "made in China" new Iphone comes out.

11 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

You are absolutely right.  I think you need to run right down to the CDC and shake them up and show them how wrong they are.  And that Fauci guy, what does he know?  You need to straighten him out too.

The mainstream media's coverage of this has been irresponsible, IMO Bordering on panic creation, and paranoia creation. In the end, who knows. more people might die of stress or a stroke watching the TV and the like than from the Chinese Coronovirus spread.  

World Health Organization website their scientists, epidemiologists are stating that  86.4 % of those that come down with the virus will suffer " mild, non life threatening symptoms". Even the vast majority of those over 80 with compromised immune systems due to underlying health conditions are expected to survive a bout with this, and millions of these people every night die in their sleep peacably anyway,  no child under 10 anywhere in the world has died from this. 99 out of every 100 people that come down with this virus that are under 65 will survive it, and far less than half the adult population is expected to get it. China has 1.35 billion people.. As of today, 3,177 have died of Coronovirus in China since this outbreak began there in mid December. Out of 80,000 confirmed cases (its estimated many more went undiagnosed, and recovered on their own).

I suspect that many will catch this virus, but that it will eventually run its course, and while deaths will result, it will not be the cataclysmic virus that its being made out to be by the media.

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2