Coronavirus

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Like I said earlier the issue isn’t how many cases/deaths we have now, it’s how bad things might get if we don’t take precautions. But I guess Italian doctors having to decide which patients get hospital assets is all a conspiracy. Along with medical experts here worrying that ERs and hospitals could be overwhelmed is a conspiracy too. But somehow it’s all the media.... 

My Wife and Daughter are both in the medical industry, with one of the largest hospital operators in the Chicago area. Without divulging too much I can tell you that there is a widespread opinion in the industry that this whole ting has been blown waaaaay out of proportion, as most infected only suffer minor symptoms and aren't life threatening. 

5 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Were talking USA here. 41 deaths compared to 1500 infected is .03%. 60 million were infected with swine flu. 60 MILLION!

And also, a .03% death rate (again, the virus is relatively new to our country), is still FIFTEEN TIMES HIGHER than swine flu! Why don't you understand why everyone is taking all the precautions necessary?

2 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

My Wife and Daughter are both in the medical industry, with one of the largest hospital operators in the Chicago area. Without divulging too much I can tell you that there is a widespread opinion in the industry that this whole ting has been blown waaaaay out of proportion, as most infected only suffer minor symptoms and aren't life threatening. 

OF COURSE. 3% death rate means 97% survive, and most with benign symptoms. But if, again, it reaches the same number of 60 million that swine flu did, then almost TWO MILLION U.S. CITIZENS WILL DIE. That's a gigantic number. FIFTY TWO TIMES the number of people (34,200) that died in the last complete flu season in the US. Why would you not try your hardest to quarantine this?!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I can't understand why you're burying your head in the sand so hard on this one. everyone is trying desperately not to let it get to 60 million infected, because then almost 2 million people will likely die. The current death rate estimation is at 3.4% from the aggregate of all countries infected, not the US, where the virus is relatively young. Look to Italy, South Korea, China, Japan to see how this virus most likely will progress. Why on earth would we assume it won't progress with the same death rate here and not take every precaution?!

I have traveled to those countries, most recently spending 2 weeks in Northern Italy in early January on business. Lets just say that Hygiene is not a priority in the countries you mentioned like it is here.   

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, skevinp said:

As someone who watches a few things on Fox I don’t think they have a singular position.  There are a lot of different opinions, and most people I have heard are taking this seriously, just without hysteria.  

I have heard some chastise the main stream media, but not for taking it too seriously so much as for using it as an opportunity to spin and politicize instead of focusing on what people really need to know.

had a co-worker who would watch “his” news and parrot whatever was said. More than once I’d get told that “the other networks won’t tell you this” and then say something I heard on on one of the big 3 networks the night before.

Sad part is I finally realized he wasn’t watching the news there but watching one of the talking head shows. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

I have traveled to those countries, most recently spending 2 weeks in Northern Italy in early January on business. Lets just say that Hygiene is not a priority in the countries you mentioned like it is here.   

That's what you're hinging everything on, your experience with hygiene in Italy? In the real world, people go by facts, and all medical sources put the average death rate for the coronavirus around 3%. No one should go off of anything else other than facts, and it makes perfect sense to use them as predictors and close all major events and schools out of precaution. 

To imply that this thing is a conspiracy against the president to make him look bad is nothing short of sheer barking lunacy. Back up your arguments or get off the pot. I just told you in two different replies that this is either 15 or 150 times more deadly than H1N1, using YOUR numbers in each case. In the face of those numbers, how can you still call this a conspiracy?

• Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

So the medical people working with the government are out of touch?

PS also spent time in Sicily and other countries..... stopping there

dogs back in so back to bed...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

Were talking USA here. 41 deaths compared to 1500 infected is .03%. 60 million were infected with swine flu. 60 MILLION!

That 60 million figure is based on a year’s worth of time. We’re about a month and a half in, here in the U.S.

Go back to the CDC page that lists the H1N1 2009 stats and look up the estimate of how many of those 60 million cases required hospitalization.

Now compare that percentage to the covid-19 infections that require hospitalization. 

There’s the answer to your previous question.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I have a feeling this will be the summer of The Couchmen. They’ll have plenty of slots open. 

I think I've got this one!  Drill seems more than reasonable. Tuition not a problem.  Futon section has openings.

Thanks for the  heads up!!!!!

Edited by DCVNVET
change URL
  • Haha 1