Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Jake W. said:

That's what you're hinging everything on, your experience with hygiene in Italy? In the real world, people go by facts, and all medical sources put the average death rate for the coronavirus around 3%. No one should go off of anything else other than facts, and it makes perfect sense to use them as predictors and close all major events and schools out of precaution. 

To imply that this thing is a conspiracy against the president to make him look bad is nothing short of sheer barking lunacy. Back up your arguments or get off the pot. I just told you in two different replies that this is either 15 or 150 times more deadly than H1N1, using YOUR numbers in each case. In the face of those numbers, how can you still call this a conspiracy?

"...more deadly..."

As the denominator goes up (and the numerator, too) the percentage death rate will adjust to its actual level.  Based on more than just the math (and I'm a numbers guy!), the odds are high that the death rate will eventually be drastically lower than H1N1.

The estimates that others are reading do not have less merit or accuracy than the ones you're quoting.  It's simply too early in the testing process to determine an accurate death rate ESTIMATE.

FlamMan in not suggesting that testing stop or we shouldn't wash our hands.  He's simply stating his belief that the death rate expectations by the MSM to push their agenda is significantly inflated over the death rates we will eventually see.  He's no more wrong than you are with your numbers.

Oh, and the "madness of crowds" doesn't make either side's estimates any more valid or accurate in time.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, garfield said:

"...more deadly..."

As the denominator goes up (and the numerator, too) the percentage death rate will adjust to its actual level.  Based on more than just the math (and I'm a numbers guy!), the odds are high that the death rate will eventually be drastically lower than H1N1.

The estimates that others are reading do not have less merit or accuracy than the ones you're quoting.  It's simply too early in the testing process to determine an accurate death rate ESTIMATE.

FlamMan in not suggesting that testing stop or we shouldn't wash our hands.  He's simply stating his belief that the death rate expectations by the MSM to push their agenda is significantly inflated over the death rates we will eventually see.  He's no more wrong than you are with your numbers.

Oh, and the "madness of crowds" doesn't make either side's estimates any more valid or accurate in time.

Per the death rates being significantly inflated over what we will eventually see, as discussed ad nauseam 15 pages back or so, that's the point! Yes, we will all be trying to prove a negative at that point, but the idea is that we DO take the precautions we're taking now so that this doesn't spread and that the death rate does remain lower than anticipated. Again, ###### if you do, ###### if you don't. We already have estimates of what it is in South Korea, China, Japan, & Italy, why not try every attempt to make that death rate much lower here, which will inevitably make it look like we were overreacting?

My argument with FlamMan is not on the merits of whether we should be washing our hands or not, it's his implications that all this is overreaction as a form of conspiracy by the MSM to discredit the president, which is, of course, absolutely insane and has no basis in reality.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

had a co-worker who would watch “his” news and parrot whatever was said. More than once I’d get told that “the other networks won’t tell you this” and then say something I heard on on one of the big 3 networks the night before.

Sad part is I finally realized he wasn’t watching the news there but watching one of the talking head shows. 

I have my own opinion but want to avoid political discussion here as I believe we are supposed to do.  I only offered my experience as to what a particular cable station has been covering as a matter of fact to encourage a fuller and hopefully more fair perspective and perhaps bring us back a little from a ‘we all good they all bad’ unraveling.

I would say that all the confusion over what the facts really are and the elusiveness of any rationally based consensus (beyond that we should all was our hands) is a pretty strong indictment that the media, as a whole, are not doing an outstanding job.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I have my own opinion but want to avoid political discussion here as I believe we are supposed to do.  I only offered my experience as to what a particular cable station has been covering as a matter of fact to encourage a fuller and hopefully more fair perspective and perhaps bring us back a little from a ‘we all good they all bad’ unraveling.

I would say that all the confusion over what the facts really are and the elusiveness of any rationally based consensus (beyond that we should all was our hands) is a pretty strong indictment that the media, as a whole, are not doing an outstanding job.  

My comment wasn’t directed at you so sorry for any confusion. Seemed like a good place to get on my soapbox. Just a general concern on how and what information is given on the multiple “news” networks especially since ratings drive the beast.

Need Joe Friday to start with “just the facts” and leave the opinions aside.

And again folks.... one of the big reasons to take precautions is so the number of people that will need medical care will be spread out over a longer period of time. That way medical resources will not be overwhelmed. 

That being said.... wondering what will happen when we get plenty of testing kits and if we find out lot more people than we thought have the virus. 

• Thanks 2