Coronavirus

COVID 19 Protection

Just got home from a 5 hour shopping spree and in my locality all of the stores are a mess. Whole isles of "Toilet Tissue" are empty as well as stacks of empty pallets which were once filled with stacks of tissue.. I knew there would be no masks, sanitizer or sanitizer wipes and even alcohol was gone at serveral pharmacies. It is very surreal and there were huge crowds in the stores buying multiple baskets of food and supplies. I did manage to find cases of Hydrogen Peroxide and one store so I bought several bottles and can make my own hand sanitizer with other ingredients from home.

Doing some research on recipes, found an updated video by Dr. Van Dyken from March 9, 2020 on youtube who talks about COVID 19, What it is and simple precautions one can take at home to care for infected persons, and cleaning and disinfecting soulutions that can be used..

Following is the the information from the page followed by her video.

Enjoy, Rich Cline

What you NEED to KILL COVID 19 in your home by Dr. Van Dyken

by Out of the Doldrums
What you NEED to KILL COVID 19 in your home
Published on Mar 9, 2020

Join Dr. Van Dyken and her crazy husband Russell as they discuss how to keep your home safe from SARS-cov-2, or COVID-19. We discuss the cleaning agents that work, the
ones that don't, and what to do if your store is sold out of the good stuff.

Links:
CDC:Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations
Interim Recommendations for US Households with Suspected/Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/home/cleaning-disinfection.html

WHO: Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

WHO recipe for hand sanitizer: PDF Download
https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf

EPA/CDC list of approved cleaners for COVID-19: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-03/documents/sars-cov-2-list_03-03-2020.pdf
Re-directed to:
Visit https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-againstsars-cov-2 to find the current list of products that meet EPA’s criteria for use
against SARS-CoV-2, the cause of COVID-19. 
List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2
https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2

There’s a little bit of an outbreak of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, or SARS-coV-2. Just to be clear, SARS-cov-2 to refers to the virus, and the
illness that that virus causes is called COVID-19. 

I know many of you are going to the store stocking up and getting supplies. But many of the cleaning supplies are sold out. If you’re lucky you got some supplies
before the store ran out. Either way, we have been wondering which ones are best and which ones will work in a pinch. 

So we did quite a bit of research, and here’s what we found.

So what do we know about the novel coronavirus?As of now, we know that it’s spread from person to person who are in close physical contact to each other. Usually, this
type of transmission is most commonly seen among people that are within 6 feet of each other. Scientists are finding that the novel coronavirus can remain alive for
hours to days on surfaces, so it becomes very important that we make sure all of our surrounding surfaces are clean with no coronavirus on them. 

Let’s talk about the difference between cleaning and disinfecting. Cleaning refers to the removal of germs, dirt and impurities from surfaces. Cleaning does not
necessarily kill things like bacteria or viruses, but it does lower their numbers and lowers the risk of spreading infection. Disinfecting refers to using chemicals to
kill bacteria and viruses on surfaces.

Not all agents will adequately disinfect, or kill the novel coronavirus. With the spread of COVID-19, many of the recommended disinfectants are sold out and
unavailable in stores and online. 

Recommendations from the CDC regarding household cleaning and disinfection - specifically in relation to the spread of novel coronavirus COVID-19. They recommend
routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces with household cleaners followed by a disinfectant. 

Let’s talk about handwashing. Will it work against the novel coronavirus? Handwashing physically removes pathogens from your skin. Soap has been shown to incapacitate
the SARS virus and other similar coronaviruses. These types of viruses have an outer coating called an envelope. We know that this viral envelope and soap both have
fatty substances - when these interact with each other the envelopes get broken up which incapacitates the virus. The soap renders the virus ineffective

What about hand sanitizers? The CDC and WHO recommend a hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol in order to kill the novel coronavirus. Many are not at least 60%
alcohol. What if all the stores are sold out of the good hand sanitizer? You can make your own. Use a reputable recipe, like this on from WHO. Basically, they mix
99.9% isopropyl alcohol, 3% hydrogen peroxide and glycerol in a certain ratio, giving you a final product of hand sanitizer that is 75% alcohol.

The WHO homemade hand sanitizer recipe was tested against the SARS and MERS coronaviruses and found to be very effective. According to these researchers, they expect a
similar effect against COVID-19. 

Another note on alcohol  - spirits really do not have that high of an alcohol percentage. Most spirits are 80 proof, as such, that is only 40% alcohol by volume -
nowhere close to the required 60% minimum to inactivate the Coronavirus. There are exceptions to this - If you can get your hands on a bottle of 190 proof everclear,
you might be in business. 

COVID 19 is an enveloped virus. According to the center for food security and public health, enveloped viruses are less susceptible chlorhexidine, which is a common
surgical scrub we use daily. So what is an effective disinfectant but not so toxic? Alcohol compounds are effective, fast acting, and leave no residue. Bleach is also
an effective agent against enveloped viruses. 

Another agent has been shown to be effective against coronaviruses- Hydrogen peroxide. It was shown to be effective with a concentration as low as 0.5%. 

So in summary, if you can, pick up a cleaner that is on the approved list so you know it is effective against coronavirus.If your store, or island in our case, happens
to be sold out of it - try to get your hands on some isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, or bleach. If you cann't get a hold of any of these things, soap and water
will actually lower the majority of the viral load.

What you NEED to KILL COVID 19 in your home by Dr. Van Dyken

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 11:44 PM, HockeyDad said:

Hey how about that just-announced travel ban from Europe starting in 48 hours?  Guess who has a hockeykid in Europe right now?  This Guy!   There was quite a bit of excitement at the Hockeyfamily household the last couple hours. Hockeymom is going to need an extra stiff brandy old fashioned sweet (with olives please). But we got him on a flight out Friday morning. Phew. But, you ask - now what?  We’re calling our doctor to see if he should get tested...or quarantined. And if course quarantining him means the 3 of us will have to self-quarantine. Good times. But as good citizens isn’t that what we should do, even if hockykid has no symptoms?  I can already hear it - “the other kids’ parents aren’t making them do that!”

Was your son able to get home today without any issues?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Continental said:

Was your son able to get home today without any issues?

Thanks for asking. Yes after a very long day of travel he is now tucked away at our cottage in rural northern Wisconsin to quarantine for 14 days. We didn’t even see him. Dropped a car in the airport parking lot. He exited the airport, got into the car and drove to the cottage. He has two other students with him who also returned from Europe. So they can keep each other from going stir crazy I hope. We stocked the place with food before they arrived 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Thanks for asking. Yes after a very long day of travel he is now tucked away at our cottage in rural northern Wisconsin to quarantine for 14 days. We didn’t even see him. Dropped a car in the airport parking lot. He exited the airport, got into the car and drove to the cottage. He has two other students with him who also returned from Europe. So they can keep each other from going stir crazy I hope. We stocked the place with food before they arrived 

Great to hear.  I can only imagine how difficult it is. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, year1buick said:

No, it’s not. 

OK!  Now maybe you can elaborate for my better understanding. Would it have been more accurate to have written, the seasonal flu is very similar to a Coronavirus?  I suspect the obvious difference would be the crown-like appearance of the outer surface extensions. What else should we know, given that this virus is, like the flu, expected to return again next winter?

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

OK!  Now maybe you can elaborate for my better understanding. Would it have been more accurate to have written, the seasonal flu is very similar to a Coronavirus?  I suspect the obvious difference would be the crown-like appearance of the outer surface extensions. What else should we know, given that this virus is, like the flu, expected to return again next winter?

Thanks.

It’s been a while (over 12 years) since I took a virology course so I won’t pretend to know what the specific implications are in differences between surface proteins, etc. But it’s all the little details like that that affect how different viruses, and virus classes, behave, are inactivated, etc. The devil is in the details. While there may be similarities, covid-19 and the flu aren’t the same thing, which is partly why governments, medical agencies, etc aren’t treating them the such. Even so, I’ve seen colleagues go out of their way to seemingly do just that, if not necessarily in deeds but certainly words. (You should see the arguing on some of the dentist FB pages...)

I wasn’t scolding with my correction but truly just trying to keep as much information here as accurate as possible. Lord knows, there are people here more knowledgeable about than me and I also hope they would correct me as well. (Happens often enough, LOL...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think I washed my thumbprint off.  My phone and iPad won’t open with my thumb anymore.  😳

31 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve washed my hands so much, that my cheat notes from 1975 have come up. . 

And the hits keep on coming.  Don't stop now T!

• Haha 1