Coronavirus

20 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

3700 people die a day in car accidents. Any further questions? 

Just one... was is wrong for “the media” to report things like Japan is closing down schools when.... Japan is closing down schools.... Yes overhyping is bs but what I am seeing (and I don’t watch any cable “news” programs for various reasons) is reports on what is being done and not “we’re all gonna die”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, garfield said:

There is ZERO evidence that this strain of flu even challenges "OUR" flu (the "American" strain) for people affected, let alone deaths.

Again: this is not a strain of flu. It's a different kind of virus, of the type that caused the 2002-04 SARS outbreak. (Which had much higher mortality rate: 10%, but also was harder to spread, so that fewer than 1,000 people died.)

And it doesn't replace the flu. It's not like people will get this instead of the flu. And unlike the flu, there is no vaccine.

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just one... was is wrong for “the media” to report things like Japan is closing down schools when.... Japan is closing down schools.... Yes overhyping is bs but what I am seeing (and I don’t watch any cable “news” programs for various reasons) is reports on what is being done and not “we’re all gonna die”.

There's surely no harm in reporting it.  It's an American proclivity to conflate every foreign occurrence into something we should emulate.

Instead, we should teach our citizens that the US immediate response has kept the outbreak at bay, and the US health care system treats patients at a level substantially higher than in other countries.  There's LESS to worry about in America.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Again: this is not a strain of flu. It's a different kind of virus, of the type that caused the 2002-04 SARS outbreak. (Which had much higher mortality rate: 10%, but also was harder to spread, so that fewer than 1,000 people died.)

And it doesn't replace the flu. It's not like people will get this instead of the flu. And unlike the flu, there is no vaccine.

None of which I actually stated.  

• Like 1

Just now, garfield said:

None of which I actually stated. 

When you referred "this strain of flu", were you not referring to the coronavirus?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, fine.  It's a virus, not a flu.  Got it.  

A calm, dispassionate discussion doesn't contain hyped, aluminum foil scenarios of doom conflated from circumstance exogenous to our own.

62 cases, and counting.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Instead, we should teach our citizens that the US immediate response has kept the outbreak at bay, and the US health care system treats patients at a level substantially higher than in other countries.  There's LESS to worry about in America.

True there is less to worry about but having lost someone close to flu effects I worry we get overconfident. Especially when I see some posts here that sound like if you get a flu shot or not in a certain age range you are safe. Maybe not their intent but could be read that way. 
As for govt response I’d feel better if all health agencies were fully staffed and higher ups would put their fingers in their pockets and quit pointing. And if an honest to God medically trained person had been put in charge.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Do you think that the average Joe, who spent his week busting his hump to pay his mortgage and feed his family, give two legit craps that this is a virus and not the flu?  This is the mistake that the press is making.  Throwing gas on conflated opinions is dangerous and foolish.

Shame on the media.

• Thanks 1

Just now, garfield said:

62 cases, and counting.

I have it on good authority that the number is 15 and falling.

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

Do you think that the average Joe, who spent his week busting his hump to pay his mortgage and feed his family, give two legit craps that this is a virus and not the flu?  This is the mistake that the press is making.  Throwing gas on conflated opinions is dangerous and foolish.

Shame on the media.

Seriously... media is wrong for getting facts correct?

And quite frankly sometimes the public needs to hear what they don’t want to hear. Back to mom lectures on “eat it, it’s good for you”. In this case it would be my dad “hey you need to listen ######”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1