Coronavirus

Covid-19 bears watching because it straddles the boundary between SARS / MERS and the common cold.  It's very communicable and as a result has fatalities that are already more than twice those of SARS.   Responsible parties are worried it won't be "containable" (despite the very aggressive attempts to limit it's spread).    It's not influenza so there are no manufacturing facilities in place to rapidly bring a vaccine to market (even if one is found).   Strangely the fact that it's so mild for most who contract it is the very thing that makes it more dangerous.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, karuna said:

Covid-19 bears watching because it straddles the boundary between SARS / MERS and the common cold.  It's very communicable and as a result has fatalities that are already more than twice those of SARS.   Responsible parties are worried it won't be "containable" (despite the very aggressive attempts to limit it's spread).    It's not influenza so there are no manufacturing facilities in place to rapidly bring a vaccine to market (even it one is found).   

This is wrong.  JNJ manufacturing facilities have the capability of producing 300million antivirus doses to the market in 90 days.  That's first hand knowledge from the head of biotech drug development at JNJ.  

EVERY virus bears "watching".  We were going to be "wiped out" by SARS, except no we weren't.  The "common cold"?  Seriously?  The common cold is "very communicative" so this statement means nothing at all.

I'm sorry, you're wrong in your beliefs but, sadly, you're in good company. 

I hope DCI has a level head when they're considering this season's tour.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is wrong.  JNJ manufacturing facilities have the capability of producing 300million antivirus doses to the market in 90 days.  That's first hand knowledge from the head of biotech drug development at JNJ.  

EVERY virus bears "watching".  We were going to be "wiped out" by SARS, except no we weren't.  The "common cold"?  Seriously?  The common cold is "very communicative" so this statement means nothing at all.

I'm sorry, you're wrong in your beliefs but, sadly, you're in good company. 

I hope DCI has a level head when they're considering this season's tour.

Actually no one has ever produced a vaccine for a coronavirus.    Antivirals are drugs that treat those already infected.  Please get your facts straight.  

(antivirals are also ineffective unless introduced within 24-48hrs of contracting the virus.  unfortunately most people don't know they're going to get really sick that early)

It's funny to watch people on both sides of political spectrum parrot the narratives of their respective parties talking points.  

As for DCI  --  Swine Flu didn't seem to bother them so...

Edited by karuna
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Just don't presume I only consume one "side" or the other.

Not true.

I never presumed that and hope none of my posts sound like I did. I used to channel surf between the “sides” to try to get at real stuff in the middle. But that has gotten too grating on the nerves. Breaking point was when one of them interrupted coverage of a hurricane due to make landfall to start griping about what the “other” network had just said. People trying to find out when their town will get clobbered but got pre-empted for a b-word session

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 minutes ago, karuna said:

Actually no one has ever produced a vaccine for a coronavirus.    Antivirals are drugs that treat those already infected.  Please get your facts straight.

It's funny to watch people on both sides of political spectrum parrot the narratives of their respective parties talking points.  

Moderna

6 minutes ago, karuna said:

IIRC it only bothered some people who had the shots.... 

Just now, garfield said:

Do you think that the average Joe, who spent his week busting his hump to pay his mortgage and feed his family, give two legit craps that this is a virus and not the flu?  This is the mistake that the press is making.  Throwing gas on conflated opinions is dangerous and foolish.

Shame on the media.

Shame for what? Can you or George or anyone be specific about what news reporting or opinion pieces are overhyping this? (PM me some links if you think the pieces are too inflammatory for posting publicly.)

In late December, the Chinese government told the scientists who initially identified this as a new SARS-like virus to destroy their research, so that the public wouldn't be spooked. I think you'll agree that was not the right approach! Especially now that more than 2,500 people have died in China, including one of the doctors --aged 34!-- who first raised the alarm and was threatened by his government for doing so. Since then, the U.S. government decided the situation was serious enough to fly a bunch of Americans home from a cruise ship in Japan and to put those people in quarantine on an air force base (although the effort seems to have been botched in several ways). That's not something that would happen for people who had the flu! And the Vice President now has been put in charge of managing the U.S. response, which again is not something that I can see happening for the flu. Surely you're not suggesting that this is all some sort of PR stunt by the government, right?

That cruise ship, with 3,700 people aboard, had more than 700 infected, of whom five have now died of this disease. In three months, the virus has spread from China to many dozens of additional countries. The Olympic committee has announced that they are seriously considering canceling the Olympics.

None of those events means that DCI will have to cancel anything. But they are sufficiently worrisome that DCI should be monitoring closely. (And there are reasons to think that if the disease does spread here that it would be worse than in some other countries.)

• Thanks 1