Coronavirus

25 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

And masks don't help if you DON'T have coronavirus.  It helps someone with it,  to not spread it.  Well that's what they say.  I fly a lot (going to SFO in the morning) and I saw fewer masks last week (was in SFO) but saw more people wiping down seating and seat backs/trays with sanitizing wipes.  My wife gave me a tube of them to clean my desk, and car, and computer, and backpack and anything I might touch.  I feel good bacteria leaving my body already.

Oh, I travel with a bag of disinfectant wipes but I’ve done that for years.   I wiped down my whole area on the plane last week.  The flight attendant asked if I’d do the entire aircraft.  😂 

• Haha 2

My daughter’s school just recalled all international students & staff and cancelled all planned study abroad programs indefinitely.  Huge deal...

https://blog.smu.edu/coronavirus-covid-19/2020/03/02/smu-suspends-all-university-related-international-travel/

2 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

My daughter’s school just recalled all international students & staff and cancelled all planned study abroad programs indefinitely.  Huge deal...

https://blog.smu.edu/coronavirus-covid-19/2020/03/02/smu-suspends-all-university-related-international-travel/

They’re talking about that on the news right now. 

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

There’s a case in New York.  Another person died in Washington state.  And I’m still seeing those mask ads here. 

Five* total deaths in Washington state now.

(That said, this outbreak quite possibly will kill fewer people than the flu. But these deaths will all be on top of those from the flu. It's not like this bug replaces the flu.)

*Edit: Within a half-hour of my typing that, the number rose to six.

Also, the World Health Organization today announced these numbers, with increases since yesterday in parentheses:

China:

80,174 cases (+206)

2,915 deaths (+42)

Outside China:

8,774 cases (+1,598)

64 countries (+6)

128 deaths (+24)

Some of the increases are due to increased testing. South Korea has been super aggressive and has tested tens of thousands of people, for instance.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

33,800 people died from the Hong Kong flu in the United States alone in 1968.  Not that precautions should not be taken now, but this is SO over-hyped by the media it is beyond ridiculous.  

8 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

33,800 people died from the Hong Kong flu in the United States alone in 1968.  Not that precautions should not be taken now, but this is SO over-hyped by the media it is beyond ridiculous.  

I was talking to an Infectious disease  Dr. just today , he said expect to see a lot more through communities. Hopefully nowhere near the number you state with the 1968 stat

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Nah. If anything, the media downplayed this story from December until the past week, having been lulled by the disinformation that was put out by multiple governments.

After foolishly covering up the disease initially, a decision which probably cost a thousand lives, the authoritarian Chinese government then did the right thing, falling on this grenade for the sake of the rest of the world, locking down about 700 million people to slow the spread. That's twice the population of the United States all told to stay home for a month. Which is why you have some U.S. ports now sitting practically empty and economists predicting 0% growth in the U.S. for the second quarter of 2020.

But because of that initial cover-up, some infected patients had already travelled to other countries, including the U.S., where the first cases seem to date to mid-January, where they spread undetected for six weeks, incluing to a long-term care facility in Washington where six Americans have now died.

Imagine if the Chinese, the Iranians, and others had all come out the gates swinging, aggressively working to contain this disease from the start, including testing on a massive scale like they're performing in South Korea (many thousand each day), bold steps like China's lockdown and Japan's decision to close schools for a month, and above all: honest information regularly provided to the public. Then, if the media were reporting as they now are doing, you'd have a point.

Edit: this may be of interest:

A Global Panic Over the Coronavirus---But That's a Good Thing

"In a 'Twilight Zone'-like drama spawned by eerie uncertainty, the world is shutting down a bit more each day, as the coronavirus pandemic accelerates across sixty countries on six continents—all in just nine weeks. There’s no longer an illusion that the contagion can be contained. And this is only the beginning. Marc Lipsitch, a Harvard epidemiologist and the director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, estimated that between forty per cent and seventy per cent of the world’s roughly five billion adults will get the virus ... In the United States, transmission is likely already far, far wider than the ninety publicly confirmed cases on Monday because of [in]sufficient testing. 'We haven’t found hundreds or thousands of cases because we’re not looking hard enough,' Lipsitch said. 'We don’t have the testing capacity to find out what’s going on. We’ve looked largely at people who had a relation to China or high-risk areas.' That’s too low, he said, by several factors of ten ...

On Saturday, baseball games were played without audiences, after the Japanese government’s order to cancel or postpone sports and entertainment events: Seiya Inoue, of the Chiba Lotte Marines, homered against the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles in an empty stadium. Models at the Tokyo Girls Collection strutted down the runway with no one in attendance. And horses at the Nakayama Racecourse ran without spectators. In a sign of the risks ahead, a cruise-ship operator in Japan filed for bankruptcy on Monday, due to the many cancellations of night cruises that once ferried up to a thousand people around the sights of Kobe. The fate of the Summer Olympics, in Tokyo, is still to be determined. In South Korea, the government is considering prosecuting the leader of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus for gross negligence or murder, because sixty percent of the country’s more than four thousand confirmed cases are sect members. BTS, one of the country’s most popular musical groups, called off tour dates scheduled for April in Seoul, while the American pop-punk band Green Day postponed shows across Asia."

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

From what I’m reading non US countries are freaking worse than we are. Louvre in Paris closed because staff refused to go to work and iirc countries closed or looking into closing international flights. 

As for HK flu that was the toll after it was over so not sure why comparing when this is just starting out.