Coronavirus

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Theaters around the country are grappling with this issue right now: what if local or state government issues an emergency order banning public gatherings for a week or a month? If you have to cancel performances and refund patrons' tickets, how long can you afford to pay your regular staff?

I have theater tickets for tomorrow night.  

25 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Given the number of overhyped maladies of past years, don’t you think that could be what is happening now?  

In any case, I haven’t heard any people saying that no measures should be taken by medical or government agencies, so it seems like a false comparison.  Over-hyping and politicization are irresponsible distractions from educating people about precautions to take and supporting what needs to be done.

One of the reasons why I quit watching 24 news channels. Find the hot topic and beat it to death. Another reason is trying to hook politics or opinion into areas that should just be facts

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Given the number of overhyped maladies of past years, don’t you think that could be what is happening now?  

In any case, I haven’t heard any people saying that no measures should be taken by medical or government agencies, so it seems like a false comparison.  Over-hyping and politicization are irresponsible distractions from educating people about precautions to take and supporting what needs to be done.

Not necessarily. A very real possibility is that the maladies had the potential to be as serious as the hype suggested, but that we were able to contain it.

Right now, though, we have at the very least a failure to properly monitor and report on the new disease.

About an hour ago, the official report from the CDC was that there were 60 cases and 6 deaths.

That was already behind, since Washington state had confirmed 7 deaths by that point. Now the count there is 9 deaths.

6 deaths out of 60 cases is 10% mortality.

But we know that in China, mortality was tracking at 2%. In South Korea, it's tracking at 0.5%.

So unless the disease got a whole lot worse in the U.S., there must be somewhere between 300 and 1,200 cases here.

And the CDC has to know that their figures are wrong.

A responsible government would be forthcoming about what was once termed "the known unknowns".

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have theater tickets for tomorrow night.  

I hope you enjoy the show! Whatever it is.

Some theaters are having ushers wear gloves when they take tickets, mostly for peace of mind. All of them are stepping up their cleaning protocols.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Nevermind my response to the above.. got it now

Maybe someone can clear this up. Reading all (9 currently) deaths in Seattle area? Article I read needs clearer writing. 

edit: 8 King county (Seattle) and 1 Snoqualmie county (just East). Other than possible Oriental family members interesting it’s hit there so hard. Glad my travel days to Puget Sound are over.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

41 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I hope you enjoy the show! Whatever it is.

Some theaters are having ushers wear gloves when they take tickets, mostly for peace of mind. All of them are stepping up their cleaning protocols.

I have my handy dandy disinfecting wipes, too!  😉 

57 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not necessarily. A very real possibility is that the maladies had the potential to be as serious as the hype suggested, but that we were able to contain it.

Right now, though, we have at the very least a failure to properly monitor and report on the new disease.

About an hour ago, the official report from the CDC was that there were 60 cases and 6 deaths.

That was already behind, since Washington state had confirmed 7 deaths by that point. Now the count there is 9 deaths.

6 deaths out of 60 cases is 10% mortality.

But we know that in China, mortality was tracking at 2%. In South Korea, it's tracking at 0.5%.

So unless the disease got a whole lot worse in the U.S., there must be somewhere between 300 and 1,200 cases here.

And the CDC has to know that their figures are wrong.

A responsible government would be forthcoming about what was once termed "the known unknowns".

Nothing you said appears to disprove or even contradict anything I said.  

As for the topic (newly introduced to this conversation) of the numbers, did the CDC say there couldn’t possibly be any more than 60 cases, or did they just say we know of 60 so far?