Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The elderly with pre-existing conditions are the most vulnerable to this virus.  It attacks the lungs and they develop pneumonia and that’s never good.  

Not surprised at all deaths occurring at a center like this. Just surprised so far all US deaths are in this one place. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not surprised at all deaths occurring at a center like this. Just surprised so far all US deaths are in this one place. 

Communal living.  It’s why viruses spread quickly in college dorms and when corps are on tour.  Norovirus spreads like wildfire. 

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Communal living.  It’s why viruses spread quickly in college dorms and when corps are on tour.  Norovirus spreads like wildfire. 

My bad... surprised this is the ONLY place with deaths. Have seen some care centers/rehab centers/homes with low standards due to low staffing, crappy facilities, etc. Unless the other places have not been exposed yet....

Some of the places I’ve seen near me would scare the hades out of anyone even without flu or coronavirus 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

When you take data out of context, it can be misleading.

How about we be candid here?  There are two big chunks of context framing this situation.

1.  If there is a respiratory virus that, quite unlike any I know of, can stowaway in the body for two weeks before the host even perceives symptoms... no agency or government is going to stop it dead immediately in its imperceptible tracks.

2.  If, in addition to that, the same respiratory virus seems just like familiar, existing respiratory viruses for the overwhelming majority of its sufferers... the overwhelming majority of cases will go unreported until-and-unless we test everybody on Earth that ever gets so much as the sniffles.

Even someone who cannot spell their own avatar can see that we are not going to have accurate case counts at this stage, no matter who does the counting.

Well, I think we're going around in circles, so I'll be brief: the head of the WHO today said that the outbreak could be contained, if aggressive measure were taken. Unfortunately, the people making the decisions in multiple countries apparently thought, at first, that it would be better to hide the problem than to deal with it, going back to December when the initial researchers in China who were instructed to destroy their findings, and the doctor who tried to sound the alarm was punished for it and then died of the very disease he was trying to warn people about -- and extending forward to at least this evening when a briefing by heads of the CDC, HHS, and others was conducted with no video or audio, almost certainly because they were afraid what would happen if someone saw them presenting anything less than sunny news on TV.

Now that I am being equally candid, before bowing out (for at least a day) from this thread, in which, I fully acknowledge, I have been an overwhelming presence: the reason for my heavy activity in this discussion is that it was clear by the first few pages that some commenters here were getting their news from a Pollyannish bubble (e.g., "the numbers peaked on Feb 15 and new case and death counts are arriving at a decreasing rate": that was written on 2/26, before the U.S. even had its first but entirely foreseeable deaths), and this seemed to me to be too important a subject to let such potentially dangerous information go by unchallenged.

But I don't think there's much more to be gained by my posting endless variations on the two key messages: take basic disease prevention steps in your personal life, and encourage authorities to be aggressive in their response to the outbreak. (Better to do too much than too little in a case like this.) So be safe, everyone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I sing the ABC song when I wash my hands. 

I hum the drum solo from “In A Godda Da Vida.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The album version and your hands are gonna fall off. 

Well, you know, having skin on your hands is overrated. 😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

8 hours ago, Continental said:

DCI this summer is one thing, what about WGI in early April?

they're having a hard enough time not losing facilities for the East percussion regional

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I think we're going around in circles, so I'll be brief: the head of the WHO today said that the outbreak could be contained, if aggressive measure were taken.

I like Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, but I don’t know that they are experts on the matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not going to quote the whole post for one sentence but did head of (not The) WHO define the drastic measures needed. 
Ironic is Amazon(?) is recommending that people work from home. US Govt working on measures to lessen spread of the virus but.... trying to get rid of work at home ability for Federal employees. Bullet meet foot?