Coronavirus

Seattle Cascades canceled March camp:  "Due to this growing concern and widespread outbreak, and in an effort to protect our members, staff and volunteers the Northwest Youth Music Association has made the decision to cancel the March 20-22 rehearsal camp."

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was thinking....some of these cases are probably self-resolving.  I had some kind of flu in early December for a week and I didn’t go to my doctor.  

Gov.Cuomo brought this up at his press conference this week.

He said 80% of the people who test positive would self cure.

He also said that a number of people who would test positive would never show any symptoms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was thinking....some of these cases are probably self-resolving.  I had some kind of flu in early December for a week and I didn’t go to my doctor.  

Yep that’s why I think going full gonzo on comparing statistics is self defeating. Now people are more concerned/scared so more willing to go to doctors or be tested.
Only remember going to doctor once with flu like stuff. That guy was on other side of the city and went at rush hour. Felt sick going over and worse from the drive. He looked at me and said to go home and rest. My thought was hope I survive the drive back. Got home and Kris asked what I learned... response “I learned I need a doctor not so ####### far away”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My wife was in a high risk category so doctor (works with a teaching hospital so really up to date) always had her get a shot. I’m older but not high risk so only recommended a shot if it matched the strain she thought would hit our area. My understanding is govt (CDC?) has to take an educated guess on which strain will hit as have to ramp up vaccine production before the flu hits. And no guarantee that if they get it right that will be what hits our area. Some years I get told not to worry.

They usually predict (the science word for 'guess') each spring what the following season's flu will be as it takes a long time to actually manufacture the vaccine.  The manufacturing process requires, among other things, inoculating chicken eggs with the virus; this is why they always ask if you are allergic to chicken eggs before giving the shot.

• Thanks 1

Now PA has its first two cases both picked up from outside the state. One outside Philly and one near Scranton. And York (central PA near MD) just cancelled indoor special olympics for MD/PA. In about 4 weeks Hanover Lancers are scheduled to host their annual indoor concert in York. Supposed to help celebrate the corps 100th year but we shall see.

edit: concert in York scheduled for Pollo Center which is part of Penn State York Campus. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I just saw that SXSW has been cancelled. Wow. (I’d wager a bigger deal for Austin than DCI is for Indy. Could be wrong, though.) I had been cautiously optimistic that DCI might still skate by this summer but now, I wonder...I haven’t even heard of cases being reported in Austin.

9 minutes ago, year1buick said:

I just saw that SXSW has been cancelled. Wow. (I’d wager a bigger deal for Austin than DCI is for Indy. Could be wrong, though.) I had been cautiously optimistic that DCI might still skate by this summer but now, I wonder...I haven’t even heard of cases being reported in Austin.

They’ve cancelled all kinds of trade shows here in Chicago. The city is losing millions.