Coronavirus

10 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Its not an issue now.

Hopefully,it won't be.

But I wonder if DCI is putting any contingency plans in place,should there be 

an outbreak of Coronavirus  in the states.

As has been seen in the past, infections  spread through a corps like wild fire.

Tight quarters,less then optimum "living conditions",including laundry,provide an ideal

breading ground.

I also anticipate,if there is an outbreak,schools not allowing corps to use their facilities if they'd

have to, as a precaution,disinfect  the place after they  leave.

Could also affect people attending shows.

I know from my clients in Asia,its an issue there.

I also wonder if this will affect corps members coming over from Asia ?

Just wonder what other people think ?

Interesting. The large organization I help manage (very large restaurant chain) has already put together a task force who has met twice now

They will meet again next Monday and update our guidance and preparedness plan

Preliminary preparation has included purchase of mobile hand sanitation stations, supplemental sanitizer inventory, adjusted employee illness policy and procedures, education around our illness log processes, and we've appointed a member of our HR team as our lead coordinator and looped in a couple medical executives

While currently the risk is "low" in the USA we felt it important to prepare since we serve several million customers monthly

in terms of DCI you have traveling "pods" of individuals that could create risks in multiple ways - sharing disease as well as distribution

It certainly a unique health-care risk 

probably time they establish a panel to monitor the situation, some initial dialogue and share findings with the DCI executive committee 

anything DCI can do to educate the corps themselves is HUGE - regarding food safety

Servsafe certification would be a good start!

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, today said that the first trials will start in 45-60 days but also: "In order to get a vaccine that's practically deployable... it's going to be at least a year to a year and a half, at best."

Fortunately, the person just named to head up the response to the Coronavirus is top notch on medical issues. It's been 20 years since he said that "smoking doesn't kill". And who really knew whether that was true way back in 2000? Anyway, that's what you want: someone who can learn from his mistakes. (I'm serious: that's an important quality.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

I wonder what a Finals might look like if it were played to an empty stadium.

The second sentence in your signature is important hygiene advice for more than just Coronavirus.

19 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Fortunately, the person just named to head up the response to the Coronavirus is top notch on medical issues. It's been 20 years since he said that "smoking doesn't kill". And who really knew whether that was true way back in 2000? Anyway, that's what you want: someone who can learn from his mistakes. (I'm serious: that's an important quality.)

As long as medical facts are used to determine someone has the virus and not try to convince them that they are not really sick.... (trying not to cross the line here).....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So long as he has the full weight and strength of the US Guv'ment to direct, coordinate, and fund, he could be a master at Tiddly Winks and still be effective.

There are professionals directly below him with much more qualifications who are the "do-ers". 

(Psst, you forgot the "/s" after your last.  Didn't you?  🙂 ) 

• Thanks 1

What if a solution is to have an abbreviated tour that excludes corps from the most-prone cities.  SF issued a very real warning today.  What about Mandarins and their emphasis (not exclusivity) on Asian members; are they at higher risk?  Should DCI quarantine either corps from tour to protect other corps members?  Boston?

23 minutes ago, garfield said:

So long as he has the full weight and strength of the US Guv'ment to direct, coordinate, and fund, he could be a master at Tiddly Winks and still be effective.

There are professionals directly below him with much more qualifications who are the "do-ers". 

Naturally I hope you are right about this!

(Someone of note once complained that "an Ebola Czar with zero experience in the medical area and zero experience in infectious disease control" is "A TOTAL JOKE!" But as you say, the role of such czars is coordination not medical expertise. And obviously we never had an Ebola outbreak in this country, so you make a good point!)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Just now, garfield said:

What if a solution is to have an abbreviated tour that excludes corps from the most-prone cities.  SF issued a very real warning today.  What about Mandarins and their emphasis (not exclusivity) on Asian members; are they at higher risk?  Should DCI quarantine either corps from tour to protect other corps members?  Boston?

Do Mandarins in fact have a high proportion of members who are actually from Asian countries? (I seriously do not know the answer to that question.)

And given the link you previously posted, are you prepared to suggest similar quarantines, on, say, Italians?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

My understanding is the reason for the SF warning was concern of catching flu from family members/friends from Asia who were visiting. Or US residents who visited Asia

We had a short fuse email other week asking if anyone had been to Asia or contacts with anyone from Asia. Only yes response was someone whose mother in law had just visited (not sure if Asia resident or had just visited there). 

Edited by JimF-LowBari