Coronavirus

7 hours ago, TwoValves said:

If that happens I would imagine all but maybe 3 or 4 corps would fold.  DCI would be no more.  

Perhaps some won’t continue. DCI should be planning regionally and less touring. Might change the dynamic of these organizations for the better. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Sure, everyone wishes that the Chinese government would have acknowledged Covid 19 earlier and contained it, but they didn't for reasons that I cant mention due to board rules. 

10 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

You mean because it's racist, and you'd be immediately reported?

A government is not the same as a race.

The real reasons for government behavior toward the virus, by the way, have already been mentioned in this thread multiple times by N.E. Brigand:

On 2/28/2020 at 7:36 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

In late December, the Chinese government told the scientists who initially identified this as a new SARS-like virus to destroy their research, so that the public wouldn't be spooked. I think you'll agree that was not the right approach! Especially now that more than 2,500 people have died in China, including one of the doctors --aged 34!-- who first raised the alarm and was threatened by his government for doing so.

On 2/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

China's government ordered the researchers who first recognized the danger of COVID-19 to destroy their research in December, and threatened one doctor who tried to raise a public alarm (he has since died from the disease). Only after another month had gone by did they begin to take it seriously.

Iran's government clearly has been lying about the number of infections in that country -- either that or the mortality rate in that country is two orders of magnitude higher than anywhere else in the world. But now that multiple senior government officials have taken ill, they're starting to reveal the true numbers.

So contra* what George says above, the very non-political point I've been trying to make is that some world leaders believe (or believed) that it was in their interest to cover up the seriousness of the outbreak. The best way to make an outbreak less serious is, of course, to respond early to reports rather than to bury them.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:26 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Nah. If anything, the media downplayed this story from December until the past week, having been lulled by the disinformation that was put out by multiple governments.

After foolishly covering up the disease initially, a decision which probably cost a thousand lives, the authoritarian Chinese government then did the right thing, falling on this grenade for the sake of the rest of the world, locking down about 700 million people to slow the spread. That's twice the population of the United States all told to stay home for a month. Which is why you have some U.S. ports now sitting practically empty and economists predicting 0% growth in the U.S. for the second quarter of 2020.

But because of that initial cover-up, some infected patients had already travelled to other countries, including the U.S., where the first cases seem to date to mid-January, where they spread undetected for six weeks, incluing to a long-term care facility in Washington where six Americans have now died.

On 3/3/2020 at 6:41 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Everybody agrees that the Iranian government was covering up what was going on there, either to avoid a panic or because they thought it would be embarrassing to admit how bad the situation was.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

the head of the WHO today said that the outbreak could be contained, if aggressive measure were taken. Unfortunately, the people making the decisions in multiple countries apparently thought, at first, that it would be better to hide the problem than to deal with it, going back to December when the initial researchers in China who were instructed to destroy their findings, and the doctor who tried to sound the alarm was punished for it and then died of the very disease he was trying to warn people about

So was that "racist"?

I see nothing in what is quoted here (or anything I have ever seen from N.E. Brigand) that would even suggest such a thing.  But you let us know if you disagree.  (On second thought, spare us the divisive distraction so we can stay on topic.)

17 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

On one of the talk show programs Dr.Sapphire a prominent Epidemiologist was asked abut the warmer temperature influence on the spread of the virus. She sheepishly shrugged her shoulders and moved on. 

Just wanted to mention that she is a radiologist and not an epidemiologist - may not quite be a leading authority on the subject.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

One thing I don’t understand (and this is an honest question - no trolling)...

Why is the reaction now different than when H1N1/Swine Flu was around in 2009 - 2010?  

H1N1 was more deadly, yet the reaction wasn’t anywhere close to what is happening now.

Not trying to be political either, just an honest question.

The principal reason is that the coronavirus has an unusually long period of asymptomatic incubation.  People can carry it (and possibly spread it) unknowingly for something like two weeks.

• Like 1

There’s a scene in the movie “Das Boot” where the submarine has been hit with mines and is taking on water and is sinking and all is chaos. And there’s a reporter on board who really has no job duties and can only watch. He climbs into his bunk, pulls the covers over his head, and closes his eyes. I kinda feel like that guy right now. I just want to wake up in about July and have this be over. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Just wanted to mention that she is a radiologist and not an epidemiologist - may not quite be a leading authority on the subject.

My bad your correct (I hate screwing up like that and usually proof my work) .  Her reaction was none he less the same. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m super depressed, too.  It would be helpful if Jim didn’t watch the news nonstop. I’d rather watch a movie and get away from this for a hot minute.

It's almost becoming surreal.  Like we are living in a movie. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Perhaps some won’t continue. DCI should be planning regionally and less touring. Might change the dynamic of these organizations for the better. 

Cancelling the season at this point would cost a corps well into the 6-figures range.  Lots of contracts have already been signed and/or paid, merchandise ordered, non-refundable travel booked, and money paid out against the expectation of revenue coming in.  Not to mention the ethics of dealing with potential refunds to members.

I am fairly certain there are only a small number of orgs with enough cash reserves to withstand that kind of financial onslaught.  A cancelled season is death for a number of corps.

11 hours ago, hostrauser said:

You absolutely have no idea what you're talking about and you look foolish. Every infectious disease expert on the PLANET is in agreement that we are just cresting the lift hill of this roller coaster. The terrifying ride is about to begin.

Wow, your overreaction to my comment is a bit disappointing.  You seem intent on putting me down, and I’m not really sure why?

We are all going to die from this.  DCI is not going to survive.  Individual corps are going to go bankrupt.  This is inevitable.  Better go stock up on toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

There.  Does that makes all the naysayers happier now?  I’m falling in line with doom and gloom predictions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3