Coronavirus

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

He said essentially nothing was done and obviously meant little was done compared to all the things happening now.  

All the things that are happening now are happening because the earlier steps taken in this country to stop the current epidemic didn't work as well as authorities hoped.

Had the swine flu spun out of control as experts fear COVID-19 is doing, we might have seen similar steps taken in 2009.

As a result of the steps that were taken (which included a vaccine that was ready in just six months, apparently because the swine flu was enough like seasonal flu that they could use the processes for the latter as a template), "only" 12,000 people died, as opposed to several times as many for a seasonal flu.

However, the CDC's internal forecasts are for hundreds of thousands or even more than a million to die -- IF too little is done to combat the spread.

As I said before: when you're successful at preventing a disaster, it looks superficially like your efforts were an overreaction.

7 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

On the + side billionaire Jack Ma the richest man in China and founder of Alibaba is donating 500,000 Coronavirus Test Kits and 1 M, masks to the US.

A positive gesture along with good business practice .  At least it's something!

Did you ever see that Seinfeld episode where Kramer got those boxes of rejected condoms?

Test kits and masks from the country that kept their knowledge of the Covid-19 secret and, to this day, refuses to release the info on patient #1 in order to trace the history of the virus.

No thanks.  I watched Seinfeld.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Did you ever see that Seinfeld episode where Kramer got those boxes of rejected condoms?

Test kits and masks from the country that kept their knowledge of the Covid-19 secret and, to this day, refuses to release the info on patient #1 in order to trace the history of the virus.

No thanks.  I watched Seinfeld.

Knew the snark would be coming when I posted - congrats you can take one step forward - hang lose until your called upon!   

Bruh you know how to google. I'm not wasting time in a pointless debate. Keep believing what you want to believe. Hopefully you and any elderly you know aren't affected by it. If they are I'm sure your "it's not a big deal" mentality will help them recover fully. 

6 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

IMO this will end up being the weakest, with the fewest deaths of all pandemics in history. All these cancellations are to instill fear and are unnecessary.  

what?  WHAT?  We agree?  OMG, I've completely failed.

/snark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

Knew the snark would be coming when I posted - congrats you can take one step forward - hang lose until your called upon!   

(thought we had a 'salute' emoji)

At your service!

11 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

IMO this will end up being the weakest, with the fewest deaths of all pandemics in history. All these cancellations are to instill fear and are unnecessary.  

Well if that does come true be prepared for months of arguing why. Was it because steps were taken or because it wasn’t that big of a deal. The hell is we will probably never know.