Coronavirus

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well if that does come true be prepared for months of arguing why. Was it because steps were taken or because it wasn’t that big of a deal. The hell is we will probably never know.

Personally, if that is how it ends up I do not about the 'why'. 

• Like 2

About those virus tests . . .

I have read (but have no proof) the test kits already in hand before February, were deemed by today’s doctors to be inadequate. Supposedly, they were made in China, like too many other things, and provided 48% false negatives.

The test kits in distribution now, are expected to be more useful because they contain specific, biological and genetic, markers unique to this strain. Unfortunately, I would think better test kits will lead to more confirmed cases, but you can’t ‘keep your head in the sand’ and expect to effectively deal with this. So, let’s get on with it!

I KNOW we have medical doctors and other professionals posting here. I’m sure they can better explain these things. I’m a lowly retired public school teacher.

I appreciate the moderators allowing this discussion to continue.  It’s very helpful.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Personally, if that is how it ends up I do not about the 'why'. 

Agree.... and don’t have a magic 8 ball (we’re old enough to remember those) to find the real answer lol

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Absolutely! There will be consequences 

I guess DCI will have to limit to only those that miss out this season, and here is the thing, may not be a big deal as a good chunk won't partake as they will most likely have moved on to their full time work, etc. A good example is this cat who decided to march Pulse Percussion as Rook Out, then this happen and he was heartbroken, I advised about the WGI policy and his response was, (paraphrasing) "I wish I could, but I have a full time job waiting for me after I graduate this year." 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

My good man,  I believe you already know the regular seasonal flu is a Coronavirus.

No, it’s not. 

• Thanks 2

Mod hat here....

I have removed a series of personal attacks. Please do not aim your posts at other posters.

The topic is important, and there are people with a wide variety of opinions.  They all deserve to be treated with respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think this morning I saw 21 or 27 cases in PA and all but one or two in SE section. Well tonight up to 41 including first case in western PA and 3 in my south central county (source international travel). No idea yet if more testing is reason for spike.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But it's worth mentioning that the "Spanish Flu" pandemic of 1918-19 very possibly originated in Kansas.

And the "Swine Flu" pandemic of 2009-10 seems to have started in Mexico.

"most of these pandemics"

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, it's a big place with lots of people.

But it's worth mentioning that the "Spanish Flu" pandemic of 1918-19 very possibly originated in Kansas.

And the "Swine Flu" pandemic of 2009-10 seems to have started in Mexico.

We have been warned many times about something like this by the scientific community. 

Not an "if" warning, but a "when"  - with emphasis on the fact that we need to prepare for the inevitability. 

The above are perfect examples of how pandemics occurred in the past.

We did not learn well from history. 

Edited by Continental

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

If they do, will they increase the size limits accordingly?  Otherwise it prevents younger people from moving into those positions.  

Size should stay the same.  A corps taking a financial hit couldn’t take the added cost of increasing corps size.  It would only be allowed for one season.  What you may end up with is a huge age out class next season; the legal overages from 2020 and the 2021 ageouts. 
Another consideration is how much have corps invested in this year with no return?  Can they all sustain the financial hit?  What happens to fund raising efforts for this year? A corporate sponsor would be interested in knowing  how their financial support was utilized.  There would be a lot of financial hurdles to work out IMO.