2019 DCI Review #1 - THE CAVALIERS

4 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

Really?  Still sounds more Scottish to me.  What's with the plaid then?

Remember that being only roughly, what...400 miles apart, there are a lot of ties across Ireland and Scotland. They both share a form of Gaelic (though they're different dialects entirely at this point,) and family / district tartans are still prevalent in both places. Believe it or not, there's even a tartan pattern for Scottish and Irish folks who have German ancestry (although I don't think it's official if I remember correctly.)

Oh they're both cold and rainy...

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

In the DVD, a corps member is shown with a cigar in his mouth, like Don Warren always had.  I think it is definitely politically incorrect to show a very young man, influential to teenagers, using a tobacco product!

I did not notice that in last year’s show, but I know a few corps do add small things that get picked up by the camera in Indy. I have yet to view 2019’s BluRay. I would bet it is a tongue in cheek Don Warren tribute, and while I am not advocating tobacco use, I don’t see this as advocating tobacco use either. 

9 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

In the DVD, a corps member is shown with a cigar in his mouth, like Don Warren always had.  I think it is definitely politically incorrect to show a very young man, influential to teenagers, using a tobacco product!

What does it have to do with politics?  If you were to say you thought it inappropriate I never would have replied. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

What does it have to do with politics?  If you were to say you thought it inappropriate I never would have replied. 

The term "politically correct" hasn't referred solely to politics since the early 1990s.

Edited by Skeletor '96
misspelling
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

The term "politically correct" hasn't referred solely to politics since the early 1990s.

Yeah. Actually it has. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My attempt at a review of the Cavalier's 2019 show:

Absolutely loved this production. One of my favorites of the 2019 season. I thought the uniforms, props and naration fit the "wrong side of the tracks/gangs of New York" (or perhaps "gangs of Chicago," in this case) theme very well, as did the musical selections. Some of the smoothest and best ensemble playing by the horn line of any corps last year. I really don't know anything about percussion, but the Cavalier's front ensemble always blows me away... so exiting to listen to and especially to watch. "Road to Perdition"  is everything I love in a ballad. It was beautiful, haunting and moving. And those soaring sustained chords at the end induce chills in me every time. I found the "There is only one guarantee--none of us will see heaven" narration to be poignant and sobering. There are people on this planet that feel that marginalized and hopeless. We can't forget them. The frenetic firing off of the rifles in all directions at the end of the closer, with the battery pounding out the staccato sound of a train passing, was a perfect climax to the anger, frustration and cries for help that came before. And after the big collapse to the ground of all the corp members at the end did you notice the lone guard member walking along the train trestle, looking at his hands, after having just pushed another guard member of the top to his death? He can't believe what's he done, how his destiny has unfolded, how his life has "slipped of the track." 

To my mind this was everything a drum corps show should be...pure entertainment. Kudos to the members and their staff for this amazing production. 

Edited by ArtTalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow - amazing.  Thank you for giving me so much insight to the meanings of this show.  I can't wait to watch it again.  I didn't really watch much drum corps from 2009 till Finals night last year and was bombarded with a dozen new shows I had no foreknowledge of the stories behind.  If I keep reviewing shows I gotta bear in mind that I have a very outsider-ish, naive understanding of them.  I am looking at them at surface level only.

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah. Actually it has. 

Confused on the solely part HD. Worked with a guy who used plenty of demeaning words (that I can’t say here) based on gender, race and sexuality. When I told him knock it off I was told I was just being “politically correct”. So.... is this being political or just doing what is correct?

And this can be Corps related but not starting that here...