World Class Prelims: Is there a max?

Assuming Carolina Gold gets approved and no one folds/goes inactive, there should be 40 corps in Prelims (22 WC and 18 OC/DCUK), not counting any additional international groups that may enter.

My question:  Is there a max # of corps DCI will allow for WC Prelims? If there is, I presume the highest placing Open corps would compete up until the max# is met and bottom placing Open corps would be out, but that's just a guess.

In the modern era, they've always been able to find room in the schedue for all the Open and World corps, but hypothetically if there were 46 or 48 total corps, would DCI have to institute a quota?

There have been a few years where we have had 40 corps. The start time is 9 AM with the first corps beginning about 9:20. I will admit it is a bit different to have coffee and packaged muffins as munchies at a drum corps show. If you do go that early, know the coffee is not that great. The day ends around midnight, so it’s a full day. They could probably start a bit earlier, say 8 AM and fit a few more corps in the line up. My guess is would be too expensive to have some corps compete on Wednesday. Another factor would be Lucas Oil Stadium. Do they allow events to start as early as 8AM? It could mean overtime for employees (security and maintenance) and that may make it costly.  

DCI just instituted a new 55-member minimum bar that OC corps must clear in 2020.  They also developed a raft of new requirements for entry to OC.  I doubt the number of corps competing at championship prelims will rise in the near future.

They handled 41 competitors in the first all-inclusive "World Championship Prelims", held in 2011.

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

There have been a few years where we have had 40 corps. The start time is 9 AM with the first corps beginning about 9:20. I will admit it is a bit different to have coffee and packaged muffins as munchies at a drum corps show. If you do go that early, know the coffee is not that great. The day ends around midnight, so it’s a full day. They could probably start a bit earlier, say 8 AM and fit a few more corps in the line up. My guess is would be too expensive to have some corps compete on Wednesday. Another factor would be Lucas Oil Stadium. Do they allow events to start as early as 8AM? It could mean overtime for employees (security and maintenance) and that may make it costly.  

BOA Grand Nationals semi-finals have had performances as early at 6:15 AM

https://marching.musicforall.org/event/grandnationals19/

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

Assuming Carolina Gold gets approved and no one folds/goes inactive, there should be 40 corps in Prelims (22 WC and 18 OC/DCUK), not counting any additional international groups that may enter.

My question:  Is there a max # of corps DCI will allow for WC Prelims? If there is, I presume the highest placing Open corps would compete up until the max# is met and bottom placing Open corps would be out, but that's just a guess.

In the modern era, they've always been able to find room in the schedue for all the Open and World corps, but hypothetically if there were 46 or 48 total corps, would DCI have to institute a quota?

According to DCX, in 1973 there were 48 Corps in prelims; 46 corps in 1975; 47 Corps in 76; and so forth.  And this is what is now called 'World Class' prelims - Class A (now called Open class) adds another 20-30 Corps.

1 hour ago, ykw said:

BOA Grand Nationals semi-finals have had performances as early at 6:15 AM

https://marching.musicforall.org/event/grandnationals19/

And that was following two long days of Prelims.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

According to DCX, in 1973 there were 48 Corps in prelims; 46 corps in 1975; 47 Corps in 76; and so forth.  And this is what is now called 'World Class' prelims - Class A (now called Open class) adds another 20-30 Corps.

yeah but in the 70's they often spread it over 2 days

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah but in the 70's they often spread it over 2 days

True - I would think it would be difficult for judges to maintain the same standard as to what constituted a tick from one day to the next.  The obvious ticks are easy, but the threshold for marginal ticks could slip one way or the other I would think.

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And prelims and finals were on the same day.  I don’t even think I took my uni off between prelims and finals in 76. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

The problem is there is a set time for the cinema broadcast. When that time comes, there are 15 corps left. They can't stretch it later.

In theory DCI could move the start time earlier, but at some point it seems counterproductive.  DCI isn't (yet) BOA, and the 9am start has worked well. Even if the numbers grow, I could see a cap on number of corps in place before they would do a 6:15 am start time.