Sign in to follow this  
Skeletor '96

2019 DCI Review #3 - SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

I got my 2019 DVDs last week and watched the first disc at least a dozen times already.  I thought I’d give my reviews of the top 5 one at a time and see what anybody thinks.  Next: Santa Clara Vanguard – probably my third favorite music and visual of the year.  It’s not often I say this, but their giant props were great and they used them very well.  They were far better than the risers from 2018.  I loved the contrast between the grey uniforms on the musicians and the highlighter yellow of the guard.  The hornline really blasted some great modern music.  They were relentless.  I’ve always liked those big, booming tenors their drumline use.  Speaking of percussion instruments – does anybody else agree that being a marching cymbal player for SCV would be the coolest thing ever?  They must have a hundred people auditioning for that role every year.  WHAT’S WITH THE SOUSAPHONE???  This is the kind of thing that makes marching music “uncool” to the average person.  Overall: my favorite SCV show since 2015’s Spark Of Invention.

Edited by Skeletor '96
re-phrasing
  • Like 1