Recommendations for finals attendance rookie?

Despite 43 years of following DCI, the first show I attended was last year (Camas, WA), and I just got tickets for the prelims, semis and finals this year. As they say, "all in".

For all us finals attendance rookies, any "do" and "don't" recommendations?

Within the stadium, should I bring a seat back or anything else to survive long stints of sitting? Between corp performances, is it reasonable to pop into and out of the stadium?

Nearby, are there parking lot warm-ups, or gathering spots for DCI fans?

I have no sense of taking it all in, and yet trying to endure physically. I will be partial to brass warm-ups and performances as a former trumpet player.

Thanks,

--tg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, siletzspey said:

Despite 43 years of following DCI, the first show I attended was last year (Camas, WA), and I just got tickets for the prelims, semis and finals this year. As they say, "all in".

Within the stadium, should I bring a seat back or anything else to survive long stints of sitting? Between corp performances, is it reasonable to pop into and out of the stadium?

I have no sense of taking it all in, and yet trying to endure physically. I will be partial to brass warm-ups and performances as a former trumpet player.

Thanks,

--tg

You don’t need a seat back.  They’re pretty comfy seats.  Cup holders and everything.
You can leave the stadium and return. I do.  The only thing I’ve eaten in there is peanut m&ms.  
I haven’t been to the warm up area in awhile so someone else will have to fill you in on that. 

Enjoy! 

• Like 2

I wear long slacks, and a t-shirt and I'm usually comfortable with the inside temps.  Maybe consider a long sleeve if you get cold easily in A/C, but it's usually not blowing very cold air IMO.  Most people come and go a lot from the stadium, it's no big deal and I recommend doing it to eat most of the time.  Walk just a block from the LOS to Shapiro's Deli restaurant at least once to eat.  Plenty of other places nearby to eat and avoid the rather lousy and overpriced concessions at LOS. Last year I got one item at LOS, here was my post about that:

I was waiting with the age-outs by souvie tents late that Friday.  I hadn't eaten since before Semis and my stomach was rumbly, so I decided to get something to take the edge off the hunger. I got a "soft" pretzel because I figured, how bad could that be? After a 5 minute wait the lady brought me a pretzel  and said, "Well I had a hard time finding this and it's not very good, so...you can just have it for free...if you want it"  The pretzel was cold, damp, and stale and had no salt on it. I later figured out that she must have thought I said "no salt" pretzel vice "soft" pretzel. I think she might have washed the salt off of a regular salted pretzel in the sink. :tongue:

• Haha 1

When I go to Indy, it is to see the shows, so I am of no help when it comes to warm ups. I do recommend getting out of the stadium during the long intermission at Prelims and semi’s. So many corps in a domed stadium is intense. It also gives you a chance to have something other than stadium food. I would also suggest going to Shapiro’s at least once. I usually go on the Friday before semi’s. The food is great and the atmosphere is fun. Tables fill up quickly but I have found those at Shapiro’s don’t seem to mind inviting you to join them if you can’t find a seat and after the niceties of your name and where you’re from, the talk is all drum corps. 

I usually arrive in Indy on Wednesday afternoon and go to the Indiana State Fair. It’s about a $10 Uber ride from Downtown Indy and there’s plenty to do, especially if you have a camera (photography is my hobby). While visiting the dairy barn or pigs, you may run into a drum corps fan or two.

Resist the temptation to sleep in on Saturday and get to SoundSport and DrumLine Battle. It’s a fun, friendly atmosphere. There are also food trucks located nearby especially for this event.

As we get close to August, some of us post where we will be sitting so we get to meet each other. 

You mention “taking it all in.” You probably can’t, but if you just try and enjoy what you can, it will be a great experience.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

I wear long slacks, and a t-shirt and I'm usually comfortable with the inside temps.  Maybe consider a long sleeve if you get cold easily in A/C, but it's usually not blowing very cold air IMO.  Most people come and go a lot from the stadium, it's no big deal and I recommend doing it to eat most of the time.  Walk just a block from the LOS to Shapiro's Deli restaurant at least once to eat.  Plenty of other places nearby to eat and avoid the rather lousy and overpriced concessions at LOS. Last year I got one item at LOS, here was my post about that:

I was waiting with the age-outs by souvie tents late that Friday.  I hadn't eaten since before Semis and my stomach was rumbly, so I decided to get something to take the edge off the hunger. I got a "soft" pretzel because I figured, how bad could that be? After a 5 minute wait the lady brought me a pretzel  and said, "Well I had a hard time finding this and it's not very good, so...you can just have it for free...if you want it"  The pretzel was cold, damp, and stale and had no salt on it. I later figured out that she must have thought I said "no salt" pretzel vice "soft" pretzel. I think she might have washed the salt off of a regular salted pretzel in the sink. :tongue:

You posted about a minute before I did and we both mentioned Shapiro’s. I think we deserve a free meal from Shapiro’s as a thank you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, siletzspey said:

Thanks,

--tg

Looks like no one weighed in yet regarding warmups.  Just be aware this is as of last season. Things change so you probably want to validate some of this. Just about every corps warms up at military park. DCI has a shuttle service (Free) that can shuttle anyone to the stadium from military park. I don’t know wha exactly happens in the event of bad weather other than they move the warmups indoors to the convention center. Food wise not much to be had at military park but there was a TGIF in a hotel about maybe a qtr mile away...a lil  bit of a walk but not bad.   If I think of more I’ll post more 😊

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Looks like no one weighed in yet regarding warmups.  Just be aware this is as of last season. Things change so you probably want to validate some of this. Just about every corps warms up at military park. DCI has a shuttle service (Free) that can shuttle anyone to the stadium from military park. I don’t know wha exactly happens in the event of bad weather other than they move the warmups indoors to the convention center. Food wise not much to be had at military park but there was a TGIF in a hotel about maybe a qtr mile away...a lil  bit of a walk but not bad.   If I think of more I’ll post more 😊

Tavern on South and Basey’s are right across the street by holiday inn express.  

• Like 1

Sell your semis tickets and hang out in the lot that night. You get to see every corps perform on the field at least once, and you get to experience an even better “show” on  Friday night.

• Like 1