My wife's take on 2019 drum corps.

My wife, Mrs. Skeletor, doesn't know much about drum corps, and in fact openly dislikes it!  I showed her people's responses to my Blue Devils and Bluecoats posts this morning, and she really wanted to know what we were talking about and she asked to watch the shows.  She said she preferred the Blue Devils to the Bluecoats because she doesn't like the Beatles.  She said though that Blue Devils had way too much going on at the same time and were hard to follow.  She watched Santa Clara too, and said she liked the fact that there was no narration whatsoever.  She also liked that SCV was "cleaner", but she meant that there wasn't too much stuff going on at the same time.  I hope our relationship can stay intact since she's a BD person!  haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skeletor '96 said:

My wife, Mrs. Skeletor, doesn't know much about drum corps, and in fact openly dislikes it!  I showed her people's responses to my Blue Devils and Bluecoats posts this morning, and she really wanted to know what we were talking about and she asked to watch the shows.  She said she preferred the Blue Devils to the Bluecoats because she doesn't like the Beatles.  She said though that Blue Devils had way too much going on at the same time and were hard to follow.  She watched Santa Clara too, and said she liked the fact that there was no narration whatsoever.  She also liked that SCV was "cleaner", but she meant that there wasn't too much stuff going on at the same time.  I hope our relationship can stay intact since she's a BD person!  haha

Don't sweat it. Britt had her first DCI experience at 2018 SE Regionals in Atlanta. I truly believe that drum corps has to be experienced live in order to really translate. She had only some HS band experience and no marching band whatsoever and now shes my stalwart companion for a couple of shows a year and even occasionally tolerates me watching shows in the bedroom on the TV instead of sequestering myself to the abandoned and ominous "spare bedroom."  

• Like 1

My 9 year old son says he won't march in drum corps because he doesn't want to take cold showers!  Where's kids' ambition these days?

Edited by Skeletor '96
update

3 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

My 9 year old son says he won't march in drum corps because he doesn't want to take cold showers!  Where's kids' ambition these days?

Then tell him that he doesn't have to take a shower and save the planet from climate change!😉

13 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Then tell him that he doesn't have to take a shower and save the planet from climate change!😉

Give it about a week of All Days and no one will ever take his dot...EVERRRRRRR

I agree your wife’s take on this. I was watching’89, ‘90 and ‘91 Cavaliers the other day. Still my favorite era. And the crowd reaction!!  Common wisdom is that every year the kids are more talented. Maybe. But in my opinion, there is not a one-to-one correlation between talent and entertainment. Those shows before DCI lost its way, were the best. Now it’s staging instead of drill, fake electronic sounds, tinny brass through microphones, vibrating overdone bass, narration/singing. In the name of “excellence”. As if. No thank you. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I agree your wife’s take on this. I was watching’89, ‘90 and ‘91 Cavaliers the other day. Still my favorite era. And the crowd reaction!!  Common wisdom is that every year the kids are more talented. Maybe. But in my opinion, there is not a one-to-one correlation between talent and entertainment. Those shows before DCI lost its way, were the best. Now it’s staging instead of drill, fake electronic sounds, tinny brass through microphones, vibrating overdone bass, narration/singing. In the name of “excellence”. As if. No thank you. 

I think you bring up some valid points. I also believe that we have to consider, if not understand, that what was/is entertaining tends to change with time. It's more about the showmanship than it was in the past. I remember my father saying pretty much the same things about SCV's "silly magic tricks" (his words, not mine) in '88 and '89. I think the old dogs of war were just as talented as today's MM's on several levels. He## some of the hardest musical books on record came from the 70's-90's. I also think that the marching the new generation DOES do is just as clean at the top levels as we had previously. Some would say the very same things (staging instead of drill) regarding some of the long park and bark moments of the 70's. It's all relative, including what the fans today consider entertainment. 

On 3/7/2020 at 7:27 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Don't sweat it. Britt had her first DCI experience at 2018 SE Regionals in Atlanta. I truly believe that drum corps has to be experienced live in order to really translate. She had only some HS band experience and no marching band whatsoever and now shes my stalwart companion for a couple of shows a year and even occasionally tolerates me watching shows in the bedroom on the TV instead of sequestering myself to the abandoned and ominous "spare bedroom."  

Not going to lie, I saw that you had +999 so I went ahead and like your comment. haha! 

But I do understand what you mean. Not a lot of people outside of the marching world (sadly) do not understand marching shows.... At least in my experience. :/ 

• Thanks 1