DCI Tuition Survey Results

Hello,

I have created two interactive graphs on drum corps tuition. Almost all fields are interactive so please feel free to explore!

https://public.tableau.com/profile/joel.zapata#!/vizhome/DCITuitionCostsScatter/ScatterPlot

https://public.tableau.com/profile/joel.zapata#!/vizhome/DCITuitionCostsBar/BarGraphs

Note: The data used to create this was collected from self reported surveys so there may be a little room for error. If you missed when I posted the survey originally and want to add to this please fill out the form below.

https://forms.gle/F3NFJL13WBj5GnWQ8

Interesting.  I paid nothing except my own spending money for tour.  Our money came from Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Anaheim Angles, and paid performances at shopping mall openings - that sort of thing.

It looks to me what kids pay today is in line for what they receive.  I assume they don't have to do many "play-for-pay" performances now(?)  

Unbelievable!  I had no idea it cost this much to march now.  I practically would have had to take a semester off school and work full time at age 21 to raise this kind of money today.  Like I said on the graph, I paid less than $600 to march Cavies in the 90s.  I guess this is primarily due to fuel costs and what the top instructors get paid now?  When I read how much gh made, it really made me mad.  No one should be a millionaire off these hard working kids' backs.  Sick.

• Sad 1

Having paid the bills for 2 MMs in different WC drum corps for the past 5 years, I think it’s safe to say that these numbers still unreport the actual cost.  Add in camp fees, required lot gear, air fare, etc and I think you could reasonably raise these numbers by another $1500 - $2000 per member.

Edited by WaxDCIFan

13 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Having paid the bills for 2 MMs in different WC drum corps for the past 5 years, I think it’s safe to say that these numbers still unreport the actual cost.  Add in camp fees, required lot gear, air fare, etc and I think you could reasonably raise these numbers by another $1500 - $2000 per member.

Ouch.  Where do your kids have to go?  Where are you from?  I had to decide if I had the money to fly from Columbus to Chicago, or just drive.  Driving home for 6 or 7 hours was agony after a weekend camp from hell.

Edited by Skeletor '96
word choice

8 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

Unbelievable!  I had no idea it cost this much to march now.  I practically would have had to take a semester off school and work full time at age 21 to raise this kind of money today.  Like I said on the graph, I paid less than $600 to march Cavies in the 90s.  I guess this is primarily due to fuel costs and what the top instructors get paid now?  When I read how much gh made, it really made me mad.  No one should be a millionaire off these hard working kids' backs.  Sick.

Have to understand how much it costs to run a corps today, and work involved. I have has HS kids pay more to march band or winter programs. 

Even to run a very small winter program costs a fortune. Nothing free anymore.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

It’s a lot more than fuel & instructors pay.  Excluding camps once contracted, the “season” for mm’s begins at Spring Training and goes for up to 12 weeks. Not only are there instructors (professional educators) but there are also medical staff traveling, cook staff, assorted helpers for a myriad of things.  They eat much better than we ever did and more than once a day in most cases (lol). Corps vehicle caravans can easily have over 10 vehicles (busses and semi’s.). The corps lot at LOS at finals is amazingly crowded with them. The $5k range for tuition is not unusual these days.

As a current parent covering the costs of a World class member, here's a short summary of where the majority of tuition $$ goes from my perspective (my 2 cents 😉 ). Not in any particular order.

1. Instruments - New ones every other year ish

2. Uniforms

3. Food

3. Transportation

4. Staff

6. Housing during camps and tour. I don't think those high schools are free.

7. Equipment maintenance (Trucks, trailers, instruments)

8. Props

9. Maybe some music licensing?