If Gawd forbid Drum Corps is canceled this summer, What are your alternate plans?

I have no idea. Drum corps has been a part of my life. My father marched in drum corps and consequently I was at my first show when I was 3 weeks old! I literally grew up in a drum corps family. I marched in the Westshoremen (my father was on the board) for several years, I marched in the Reading Buccaneers for close to 20 years, and I met my wife there. Drum corps has been a life long passion for me. And sadly, my favorite corps (the Cadets) is finally poised to make a comeback this season. If the season is cancelled, I will miss it dearly!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the well wish y’all... Man a lot of old people on here 😜

Thinking about it, a lot depends on how much of the virus has passed by then. Either more day trips and see what is going on locally Labor Day Weekend (if no DCA weekend) or more time on bottomless pit called the stuff in the cellar. IOW go out more or stay at home more....

Talked to one of our ministers last night and they are thinking of webcast of a service if things get too bad or guv bans large gatherings. Maybe get into that as live a mile away. Can play tester from the house...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, dans said:

I have no idea. Drum corps has been a part of my life. My father marched in drum corps and consequently I was at my first show when I was 3 weeks old! I literally grew up in a drum corps family. I marched in the Westshoremen (my father was on the board) for several years, I marched in the Reading Buccaneers for close to 20 years, and I met my wife there. Drum corps has been a life long passion for me. And sadly, my favorite corps (the Cadets) is finally poised to make a comeback this season. If the season is cancelled, I will miss it dearly!

You, Jim and @Jeff Ream are the same. Born into this stuff.  If there is no drum corps this year, it will be the first year he hasn’t attended a show in 67 years.  Except the year he was in Cambodia (1975) courtesy of Uncle Sam.  
It will be 52 years for me.  I’m sure I’ll go into some kind of funk. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You, Jim and @Jeff Ream are the same. Born into this stuff.  If there is no drum corps this year, it will be the first year he hasn’t attended a show in 67 years.  Except the year he was in Cambodia (1975) courtesy of Uncle Sam.  
It will be 52 years for me.  I’m sure I’ll go into some kind of funk. 

I actually marched in the Westshoremen with Jeff Ream's father. Additionally, Jeff's father and my father knew each other for years. Drum corps has literally been an important part of my life since birth. Stay safe and healthy Terri!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Actually, Once the virus wipes out most of the population and turns the remaining survivors into zombies. I'm going to roam Washington D.C. like Will Smith in I Am Legend with my dog Kona. Looking for surviving Drum Corps fans while working on a cure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pull out videotapes from the 80s, hope that the player will still work, and relive the early years of my almost half-century following drum corps.
The "Tube," too; catch 'em while you can.

Read more, certainly.
(Hope there is a high school band season ... and FLO : )

1 hour ago, dans said:

I actually marched in the Westshoremen with Jeff Ream's father. Additionally, Jeff's father and my father knew each other for years. Drum corps has literally been an important part of my life since birth. Stay safe and healthy Terri!

I worked in our Central Office in DC seems like eons ago 78 - 80.  Had a retired friend in Watsontown and his son-and-law worked at USP Lewisburg.  It was back in the day when we got our only information through  Drum Corps World.  Saw there was a DCA show at Bucknell (Cavalcade of Champions) so I scheduled a visit and took the friends with me to the Bucknell (Lewisburg) show.   First time for a DCA show was excited and impressed.  I saw the Westshoremen, Hawthorne, Bucks, T-Birds etc.  You had to be playing then so thanks for the show, I was humming pieces for years.  Even had the old Fleetwood vinyl's  Optimists, CMCC Warriors etc. carried me through some difficult moments between show fixes.  Thanks again for the memories.         

• Thanks 2

I am not expecting the virus to pass in the near future, but two weeks from now we could find things quite different from today, hopefully on the better side. I am not concerned for the tour itself, but I do see problems leading up to the tour which could cause cancellation or scaling back, namely moving in and preparing for the season. Ironically it’s probably not the OC corps that will be hurting as much as the WC. WC’s move ins are earlier and facilities may not be ready or willing. Many OC corps are still locally based and this may not be as problematic.

Since I have already purchased my tickets for 2020, I do hope the season is not cancelled, especially since as of now it does not look like I’ll be attending in 2021. My sisters are  planning a family trip and in theory I may be going to Italy or Israel on a tour.

I would hate to have a season where I did not get to see at least one show live, which has not happened in many years. Something significant would be missing. However, my hobby is photography so if I’m not in Indy for finals or in Allentown a week earlier, I’ll go somewhere else camera in hand.  Speaking of Allentown, I’ll miss Quakertown Family Restaurant’s amazing breakfasts. 

1 hour ago, boxingfred said:

Actually, Once the virus wipes out most of the population and turns the remaining survivors into zombies. I'm going to roam Washington D.C. like Will Smith in I Am Legend with my dog Kona. Looking for surviving Drum Corps fans while working on a cure. 

Never saw that one but don’t be like Charlton Heston (Omega Man) or Vincent Price (Last Man On Earth). Zombies got them at the end..😳

27 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

I worked in our Central Office in DC seems like eons ago 78 - 80.  Had a retired friend in Watsontown and his son-and-law worked at USP Lewisburg.  It was back in the day when we got our only information through  Drum Corps World.  Saw there was a DCA show at Bucknell (Cavalcade of Champions) so I scheduled a visit and took the friends with me to the Bucknell (Lewisburg) show.   First time for a DCA show was excited and impressed.  I saw the Westshoremen, Hawthorne, Bucks, T-Birds etc.  You had to be playing then so thanks for the show, I was humming pieces for years.  Even had the old Fleetwood vinyl's  Optimists, CMCC Warriors etc. carried me through some difficult moments between show fixes.  Thanks again for the memories.         

Thank you for the kind words. Stay healthy and safe!