If Gawd forbid Drum Corps is canceled this summer, What are your alternate plans?

I am working on getting to retirement part deux at the moment. 19 and 1/2 more years for me if I play my cards right. Once I hit 20 with the great and powerful AT&T, I knew the writing was on the wall. Luckily a friend of mine (yes...I actually do have friends,) who was at one a point a trainer for me, was now a training manager at another company and I just transitioned over to that group. 

If there is no drum corps this summer, I think we'll maybe travel a bit more. Britt and I were near Washington when the government shutdown occurred last year. We REALLY wanted to spend 3 days at the Smithsonian. I think that's going to be a large part of our summer plan.  Most of the concerts we were going to have been either cancelled or postponed at this time. Outside of that, you can find me in my shop making cues. By the time I get the new CNC dialed in, it will 2027 anyways it seems. 

I’m going to miss the camp and spring training discussions of how [insert your favorite corps here] is WAAAY ahead of last year. And the ultimate angst at season’s end when Blue Devils crushed the hopes of [insert your favorite corps here] again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

If there is no drum corps this summer, I think we'll maybe travel a bit more. Britt and I were near Washington when the government shutdown occurred last year. We REALLY wanted to spend 3 days at the Smithsonian. I think that's going to be a large part of our summer plan.  

Check out the subway (Metro) for getting around. The Mall station puts you right in the middle of... well the Mall and can walk to Smithsonian buildings and DC sights. Did training in the area years back and found it lot easier and cheaper to park in Northern VA near the class and ride in. Biggest problem problem was panhandlers at some stations and no idea of the current situation 

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Check out the subway (Metro) for getting around. The Mall station puts you right in the middle of... well the Mall and can walk to Smithsonian buildings and DC sights. Did training in the area years back and found it lot easier and cheaper to park in Northern VA near the class and ride in. Biggest problem problem was panhandlers at some stations and no idea of the current situation 

I haven't been to the Smithsonian since I'm thinking maybe 1984. Britt went in HS (so I'm guessing around 2005 or so.) We HAD some family up that way but they've moved to warmer climates now. We're seriously considering taking the Amtrak from the ATL into DC and either renting a car (which we probably wouldn't be able to find parking for or using the tube (metro.)) I think 3 days should be good enough for the Smithsonian or we can do 4 days and maybe do the zoo as well.  

And I think we're going to do some kayaking on the Ocoee this summer when it warms up. I'm not super fond of being away from the shop without cell phone service for long periods on time. I guess I should probably get a security system after last years break in. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I haven't been to the Smithsonian since I'm thinking maybe 1984.  

Don't forget the National Air and Space Museum.  Just make sure they're not closed do to THE virus.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Don't forget the National Air and Space Museum.  Just make sure they're not closed do to THE virus.

I think that's the first place that we're actually going. Again, this will all depend upon "The Virus" (insert ominous music.) We are thinking they will be sending Britt's department home (she works for the state) within the next few days. They were assigned their laptops yesterday...suddenly. 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Or you can stay in Rockville, Md or Gaithersburg, Md were hotels are cheaper then take the Red line right into the heart of the city. If you have questions. I'm a native Washingtonian. 

• Like 2