If Gawd forbid Drum Corps is canceled this summer, What are your alternate plans?

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I haven't been to the Smithsonian since I'm thinking maybe 1984. Britt went in HS (so I'm guessing around 2005 or so.) We HAD some family up that way but they've moved to warmer climates now. We're seriously considering taking the Amtrak from the ATL into DC and either renting a car (which we probably wouldn't be able to find parking for or using the tube (metro.)) I think 3 days should be good enough for the Smithsonian or we can do 4 days and maybe do the zoo as well.  

And I think we're going to do some kayaking on the Ocoee this summer when it warms up. I'm not super fond of being away from the shop without cell phone service for long periods on time. I guess I should probably get a security system after last years break in. 

Get a Ring system.  That’s what we have. 

8 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

Or you can stay in Rockville, Md or Gaithersburg, Md were hotels are cheaper then take the Red line right into the heart of the city. If you have questions. I'm a native Washingtonian. 

That works too. Only mentioned northern VA as classes were in Falls Church and Herndon so knew area better. Also was at Rockville but ended up visiting wife’s relatives instead of more Interesting things. 😖

• Like 1

20191025-134509.jpg20191025-134532.jpg20191025-134549.jpg

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Get a Ring system.  That’s what we have. 

I think that's what I'm going to do. The shop has bars on the windows and a deadbolt but it's just not enough. I'm lucky in that 1. People don't know how much exotic wood costs so they aren't going to take that and 2. It would be VERY difficult to steal a 40" metal lathe, a milling machine or 6' by 4' 4 axis CNC machine. My mistake last year was that I happened to be working on my own cues (cue makers are like mechanics...our stuff is usually not in the best shape,) and left my cues in the shop while some leather wraps were drying up. All total they managed to make off with 2 cues which estimated out at $6000 and $2000 and one of my cases which was about $600. It was, needless to say, a bad day. And trying to convince the insurance company that yes...cues really can cost that much, proved to be impossible. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

Or you can stay in Rockville, Md or Gaithersburg, Md were hotels are cheaper then take the Red line right into the heart of the city. If you have questions. I'm a native Washingtonian. 

Thanks Fred. We will see what happens. We were going to go last year but things got super busy and time just slipped away for vacation planning. 

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Don't forget the National Air and Space Museum.  Just make sure they're not closed do to THE virus.

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think that's the first place that we're actually going. Again, this will all depend upon "The Virus" (insert ominous music.) We are thinking they will be sending Britt's department home (she works for the state) within the next few days. They were assigned their laptops yesterday...suddenly. 

Try to make it out to the facility they have at Dulles airport as well.  All kinds of way-cool stuff they can't fit into the mall location.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Try to make it out to the facility they have at Dulles airport as well.  All kinds of way-cool stuff they can't fit into the mall location.

Thanks for the addition to the bucket day trip list....

edit: supposedly 🙄 2 hr drive down Rt 15 for me and then over a bit...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It still amazes me that everything attached the Smithsonian is free of charge. The Cairo museum is only $7 US. And yet...the Chattanooga Aquarium is $45 per person O_O

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It still amazes me that everything attached the Smithsonian is free of charge. The Cairo museum is only $7 US. And yet...the Chattanooga Aquarium is $45 per person O_O

Yeah, people who live here take it for granted until we go out of town and pay up to $60 to visit an art gallery. I was born in the heart of the city, I've never known anything but Free Museums, Art gallery's and zoo.  

The Cleveland Museum of Art is free except for special exhibits. Most other cultural institutions here have a fee.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

If you go to the Dulles site they do charge for parking, just not admission.