If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

I know the tour is three months away and this pandemic might be well over by then. But what if for some reason DCI has to reduce or even cancel tour for 2020. Will they be able to issue refunds and more importantly will they have the resources to stay a float with a lost season. 

Probably not, in either case, unless the contracts with venues have force majeure clauses that could be interpreted to include events untied to the specific event as a rationale for voiding the contracts. LOS doesn't really care if no one can get together weeks before Finals week and learn a show to perform in Indy; they're renting the space for that weekend, and anything that happens to the competitors outside of that week ain't their problem.

Best guess is that they'll aim for a shortened schedule with an early to mid-July start. Maybe adopt rules that allow for shorter shows. Corps will likely have to go back to their design staffs and say "cheaper and simpler" , since the amount of revenue that would be lost by axing the first two or three weeks of the season is significant already, and this isn't going to be a year to go big in hardware or costumes.

Edited by Slingerland

9 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

P Corps will likely have to go back to their design staffs and say "cheaper and simpler" , since the amount of revenue that would be lost by axing the first two or three weeks of the season is significant already, and this isn't going to be a year to go big in hardware or costumes.

Some of those items might already have been ordered based on this years show theme.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Some of those items might already have been ordered based on this years show theme.

Perhaps, but given the timing on this, it's unlikely many big props or costumes have come anywhere close to the build stage. Additional sound equipment, yes, that might be too far along, but that's a long term asset, not a one-off show specific element.

I still think housing is going to be the biggest obstacle for the summer. Even if the coronavirus is near or completely under control come June; I can't imagine too many schools that would want to open their doors for a large group of individuals coming in from another state with some members, staff, and support staff possibly ailing from the tour crud. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I still thinking housing is going to be the biggest obstacle for the summer. Even if the coronavirus is near or completely under control come June; I can't imagine too many schools that would want to open their doors for a large group of individuals coming in from another state with some members, staff, and support staff possibly ailing from the tour crud. 

They’re freaked out here in my neck of the woods. 

12 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

I still think housing is going to be the biggest obstacle for the summer. Even if the coronavirus is near or completely under control come June; I can't imagine too many schools that would want to open their doors for a large group of individuals coming in from another state with some members, staff, and support staff possibly ailing from the tour crud. 

Plenty of schools in Kentucky would be willing if we had a show this year. 😒

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re freaked out here in my neck of the woods. 

My neck of the woods, Kentucky, has honestly handled this better than most I've seen. Sure we still have people trying to buy everything off the shelves, but that's because of the media fear mongering. 🤦

• Like 1

if by June it's still an issue, i highly doubt stadiums will hold DCI's feet to the flame as by then thousands of events will have been cancelled nationwide big and small

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Plenty of schools in Kentucky would be willing if we had a show this year. 😒

My neck of the woods, Kentucky, has honestly handled this better than most I've seen. Sure we still have people trying to buy everything off the shelves, but that's because of the media fear mongering. 🤦

I’ve never seen anything like it.