If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

It will be bad. We knew  it was coming, logically, some day. It happens.  We will lose people we know. And maybe very close to us. Now having said that, and I was being sincere - 

We forget how spoiled we are. You want a taste of how our parents or grandparents grew up?  This is it. Every summer - will there be an outbreak of polio?  How about tuberculosis- is anyone old enough to remember, or remember stories of, the sanitariums filled with TB patients?  Quarantined to prevent the spread. With no cure except maybe with time things will improve. These were real and daily possibilities previous generations lived with. They got through it. We will too. Let’s keep our dignity, calm, support and compassion for each other. And to hell with the media inciting panic. Voice your anger with them. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, Continental said:

I think the increased hoarding is being fueled by the all the coverage of hoarding.  One of those social behaviors where people see it happening and think "I should be doing that as well!"

I would agree 100%. The pack mentality is quite strong in these types of situations. 

• Like 1

I’ll point finger to people who forgot or too lazy to think for themselves. They see people going ape stuff and think that’s what they should do. Annnd if people don’t like how this is being covered voice your complaint and try to find a less “only the worst” news source. If people were not watching this would not be covered this way (ratings, ratings, ratings) Meanwhile takes me 5 minutes of google just to find out if my home state had any new cases.

back on topic: if no tour but things are getting back to normal, what could Corps do to perform and (mainly) earn money?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think what might be a bigger concern of the tour happens as scheduled is schools that are still in session deeper in the summer to make up for lost days 

21 minutes ago, horndevil said:

I think what might be a bigger concern of the tour happens as scheduled is schools that are still in session deeper in the summer to make up for lost days 

A great deal will depend on teacher contracts and local laws. In Massachusetts we get out in mid-June and schools cannot go past June 30th and teacher contracts usually say the same. An exemption is being made for this year. I am not sure how it would work with districts that end in late May/early June.

47 minutes ago, horndevil said:

True. I know here in SE Tennessee / NW Georgia, we had a week of snow days banked. They have the kids out through the rest of the month in my county as well as the surrounding counties and are in the process of setting up virtual classrooms and mobilizing hot spot vans to areas which aren't serviced by high speed internet. All sports are cancelled through the rest of the school year here and I'm fairly certain all band activities are as well. Strangely enough, proms are NOT cancelled. 

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I have watched many medical profesionals on news or opinion shows lately. They aren't painting  pretty picture either. 

With all due respect, what news and opinion shows? And the answer to this question will probably speak volumes.