If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

9 minutes ago, ykw said:

It's reasonable to believe the transmission of the virus will continue for a while. 

What could a corps director do if a staff member or performer tests positive while on tour?   They'd have to quarantine everyone for 2 weeks.

I think we're all in denial of the inevitable.  I suspect DCI may soon pull the plug on the 2020 Tour.

WGI has already to agreed to give age-outs another season.  DCI should do the same. 

Can you imagine how competitive the 2021 season will be with this much time to prepare?

If enough corps independently make the decision not to participate regardless of whether there is a season, it seems less likely DCI would try to have a season with the remaining corps.  And judging by what other organizations are doing, it seems likely some corps would pull the plug on their own.  

And what would finals placement really mean to anyone if half the corps aren’t there anyway.

16 minutes ago, skevinp said:

If enough corps independently make the decision not to participate regardless of whether there is a season, it seems less likely DCI would try to have a season with the remaining corps.  And judging by what other organizations are doing, it seems likely some corps would pull the plug on their own.  

And what would finals placement really mean to anyone if half the corps aren’t there anyway.

It seems like DCI has two choices:  1) delay the start of tour and have a shortened season, or 2) cancel tour. 

With still so many unknowns, I don't know how DCI could commit to a shortened season.   I'd rather see everyone begin to focus their energy on 2021.

59 minutes ago, ykw said:

It's reasonable to believe the transmission of the virus will continue for a while. 

What could a corps director do if a staff member or performer tests positive while on tour?   They'd have to quarantine everyone for 2 weeks.

I think we're all in denial of the inevitable.  I suspect DCI may soon pull the plug on the 2020 Tour.

WGI has already to agreed to give age-outs another season.  DCI should do the same. 

Can you imagine how competitive the 2021 season will be with this much time to prepare?

They very well could cancel the 2020 season, it's looking that way, but can we wait a few weeks before deciding?  Cancel the 2020 season and how many corps will still be around for the 2021 season?  It's not like Drum Corps is flush with cash.  Just chill a few weeks.

46 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Cancel the 2020 season and how many corps will still be around for the 2021 season?  

A few will bite the dust. A few will be fine (and not necessarily the ones you'd automatically think). Most of the rest will have to radically alter what they do and how they do it and go back to being all volunteer managers and admins, and tell senior design team members for next year that the $15-30k design fees they've been seeing are going away in favor of $5-8k fees, since the financial hit this year is going to be huge.

I'd be more concerned as to whether DCI themselves could survive.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

All restaurants are closed to dine-in customers in Illinois until April. 

Here in Ohio too, although without an end date announced. And our governor said this morning that the three weeks off for all schools that he announced on Thursday is likely to be extended through the end of the school year. It looks like the best-case scenario would have the outbreak peaking around the first week of May, which would mean that things would start to return to normal by July. But that's if every state does at least what Ohio's and Illinois's governors did today -- and keeps it going for three months or more.

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

A few will bite the dust. A few will be fine (and not necessarily the ones you'd automatically think). Most of the rest will have to radically alter what they do and how they do it and go back to being all volunteer managers and admins, and tell senior design team members for next year that the $15-30k design fees they've been seeing are going away in favor of $5-8k fees, since the financial hit this year is going to be huge.

I'd be more concerned as to whether DCI themselves could survive.

Agreed. The drum corps activity may look quite different in 2021.

1 hour ago, ykw said:

It seems like DCI has two choices:  1) delay the start of tour and have a shortened season, or 2) cancel tour. 

With still so many unknowns, I don't know how DCI could commit to a shortened season.   I'd rather see everyone begin to focus their energy on 2021.

If 2020 was cancelled now, I would be willing to bet all drum corps orgs. shut down most of their operations until recruiting time in the fall, when they’d start things up for 2021.  Most everyone would be on hiatus.  One positive is they can do their program in 21, that they were going to do in 20. Unless things got leaked.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Or they keep the 2020 show for 2021, and there is no second set of design fees.

• Like 4