If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

My neck of the woods, Kentucky, has honestly handled this better than most I've seen. Sure we still have people trying to buy everything off the shelves, but that's because of the media fear mongering. 🤦

I respectfully disagree. I believe this is a real thing. I hope I’m wrong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It's real, but I honestly believe this is just going to end up being a new seasonal illness like the Flu. It's just being blown up, in my belief, because it's something new. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve never seen anything like it. 

I haven't either. My generation has lived through some end of the world scenarios, i.e. Y2K, bird flu, swin flu, mad cow, 2012, etc. but I've never seen people go absolutely wild at the grocery store like this, and I honestly blame the media. Here in Kentucky it's not been as bad because our governor and local governments have kept us up-to-date as much as possible, but the fact we're running out of toilet paper when this is a respiratory illness, it just doesn't make any sense. In my opinion it shows the stupidity of our citizens.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I haven't either. My generation has lived through some end of the world scenarios, i.e. Y2K, bird flu, swin flu, mad cow, 2012, etc. but I've never seen people go absolutely wild at the grocery store like this, and I honestly blame the media. Here in Kentucky it's not been as bad because our governor and local governments have kept us up-to-date as much as possible, but the fact we're running out of toilet paper when this is a respiratory illness, it just doesn't make any sense. In my opinion it shows the stupidity of our citizens.

https://www.businessinsider.com/some-wuhan-coronavirus-patients-have-nausea-vomiting-diarrhea-2020-2

5 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

The media is obviously hyping it up compared to, for example, H1N1 - but that doesn't make it "not a real thing"

It's a bad "flu" that can kill the most vulnerable among us - but I'm sorry to admit the media/social media is stirring everyone into a frenzy - my local grocery store is wiped out of everything, which is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Since I was in full-blown follow-drum-corps-as-a-religion mode in the early 90s, I've had a gut feeling that there would be no 2020 season, which seems bizarre.  I always thought this would be due to financial factors.  In 1987 I also had visions of the twin towers collapsing.  I know this is an inappropriate comparison, but it feels very similar to me.

Edited by Skeletor '96
add content
  • Haha 2

I do not run a corps, and YMMV from one corps to another, but... if the season is cancelled, two things happen.  One is that revenue drops to near zero.  The other is that expenses drop to near zero.  In some situations, corps have purposely taken a year off to improve their financial situation.  I think many corps can, in theory, weather a season off.

DCI is different because they have more full-time employees.  They ought to be included among the affected small businesses for whom relief programs are being discussed/developed as we speak.

Before we even get to housing, what about show venues?  Many DCI shows are held at schools.  If schools were to adopt a zero-tolerance policy toward facility use by non-school entities, would there be enough shows left to have a tour?

There is one real issue I see lingering, without a solution.  So we switch all these things off - DCI, sports, entertainment, etc., out of an abundance of proactive caution laced with fear.  How do we switch it all back on?  The larger entities will be able to come back, even in the face of liability/litigation fears.  How will the smaller businesses/leagues/activities get back in the saddle?  That, in the end, leads me to suspect that it is just a matter of time before DCI 2020 gets called off in a press release citing member safety/health/wellness concerns (but with an underlying eye toward liability).

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re freaked out here in my neck of the woods. 

Here as well. The bread and paper products isles are barren wastelands now as well as the meat isle. The grocery store managers are stressed to the max due to ornery people wanting to know what's on trucks, when they will be there and wanting to buy out the inventory before it even hits the shelves. I've resisted the urge to snap on people multiple times at this point. It's a real thing for certain and although, yes, it is another form of flu, the fact that it is so deadly to those who already have compromised immune systems, makes it unique in our time. The generation of people who I saw at 3 different stores yesterday in full blown panic mode were millennial's and let me tell you, they have a WHOLE lot of mistrust and social anxiety. I've never seen people flip their s##t quite like this. 

Britt's mom is visiting us and have some significant health issues including COPD and lung cancer. The second I got home from work yesterday I was practically attacked with Lysol...which incidentally, really ###### me off. 

That being said, this has created some of the funniest internet trolling and memes that we have seen in years. 

https://www.tiktok.com/@603piper/video/6803765249389481222

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I agree it is real. Some of the predictions may prove to be exaggerated, but we won’t know until after this is over, then we evaluate whether it was overblown or underestimated. 

Regarding summer events, I am beginning to see notices from colleges that have summer programs and special events that are telling people to wait and see if the events will be cancelled and that it is too early to make a decision. I don’t know what this could mean for drum corps that begin their practices in May. 

I am also noticing that school districts are closing school for long periods but are also using words such as “as of now” which gives flexibility of either extending time away or if it subsides, have students return earlier. 

All in all we have to wait and see, try and be patient, and take the necessary precautions. 

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re freaked out here in my neck of the woods. 

I think the increased hoarding is being fueled by the all the coverage of hoarding.  One of those social behaviors where people see it happening and think "I should be doing that as well!"

My heart goes out to the people working in the stores.  I looked at the head cashier in the grocery store yesterday and I all I could say was "I really hope you are ok."  I wasn't there to buy anything but a couple of beers.  Those were in stock.

I also feel for all medical personnel having to deal with this.  Yesterday they announced that one of the local doctors who had been treating patients tested positive.  

One of the local food banks just announced they were closing and would do emergency deliveries only.  Food banks are there in case of emergency.....

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1