If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

You've been warned.  Been meaning to ask, Is it a good time to refi? 😂

no. the fed rate cuts have not been kind to the mortgage world

42 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Compared to what exactly?  This is not acting quite like others so in my book it is headed along way past meh.  What may make it appear less than it is, are the contradictory messages we get when we hear how bad it is and are advised what to do, then we see leadership behave the opposite of what we are told.  It minimizes the severity of the virus when one of the strongest voices  (Dr. Fauci) about how the public should act , how we should be taking extreme measures like staying in your house, social distancing, and so on, to thwart C19, is standing on stage doing the very thing we are told not to do.  If that isn't mixed messaging nothing is.  So if leadership appears be saying do as I say, not as I do, people come to the conclusion that this is meh.  But if you listen to the many other voices in the CDC and infectious disease expert.  It is much more than meh.  So for me, I'll consider it seriously,  work from home, minimize my outside public contact and wait this out.  I'm in a high risk group and I'd rather be a little cautious than possibly dead.

Nope.  Not taking the bait.  My commentary was mirroring earlier commentary that millenials and spring-breakers are ignoring the importance or are truly not connected to real life news.  You want to make this a "leadership" discussion and one wrapped in politics.  Big, fat nightcrawlers bait. 

If you're saying "leadership" in the context of most of these young people's parents and role models then, yes, we probably agree.

46 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Compared to what exactly?  This is not acting quite like others so in my book it is headed along way past meh.  What may make it appear less than it is, are the contradictory messages we get when we hear how bad it is and are advised what to do, then we see leadership behave the opposite of what we are told.  It minimizes the severity of the virus when one of the strongest voices  (Dr. Fauci) about how the public should act , how we should be taking extreme measures like staying in your house, social distancing, and so on, to thwart C19, is standing on stage doing the very thing we are told not to do.  If that isn't mixed messaging nothing is.  So if leadership appears be saying do as I say, not as I do, people come to the conclusion that this is meh.  But if you listen to the many other voices in the CDC and infectious disease expert.  It is much more than meh.  So for me, I'll consider it seriously,  work from home, minimize my outside public contact and wait this out.  I'm in a high risk group and I'd rather be a little cautious than possibly dead.

Compared to, oh, I don't know, World War II, Russia, Vietnam, Hugo, Katrina, Swine, and a dozen other "ends of all mankind" if we don't just DO something.  

For starters. 

But that's where you veered off into politics.  I can't tell you the strength with which I'd LOVE to engage you, but JohnZ is watching.  Do you know how to spell his last name?  Just the SPELLING is scary.

So, yea, so far, and with light just 30-days down the tunnel, this one doesn't really even approach (yet) our smallest, not to mention our greatest, challenges.

I'm not saying it's not significant and that death and sickness are not tragic.  I'm saying perspective comes with age and, if you measure your strength by your challenges, this one is requiring that we flex just a couple of toes.

I might look back and think I was wrong, but I don't think so. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The state of Illinois installs all of these draconian measures and then holds a primary election today.  These are not serious people.  Their brains do not work as designed. 

Ohio postponed until June, but only at the very last minute after the governor saw how long the early-voting lines were over the weekend.

This was a hard case. Usually when I vote in my polling place, there are fewer than 25 people there, including the poll workers. Ohio only decided it needed to take major steps for large groups and schools last week, and Ohio was ahead of the national curve. In fact, I would say that Ohio has been pushing the rest of the country to do the right thing. And Gov. DeWine had already made a lot of adjustments to let the election go forward, like moving polling stations out of nursing homes, and finding replacement workers for the many senior citizens who normally do that job.

And it's not easy to postpone an election. Gov. DeWine announced yesterday afternoon that he thought Ohio should do so, but he noted that he doesn't have the legal authority to make it happen. So what he did was to join a lawsuit filed by citizens concerned about their health.

And a judge said no, that the election had to go forward.

The judge said that the date of the election is set by the state legislature, and that given that people had had the opportunity to vote early or request an absentee ballot, he didn't have sufficient grounds to overturn the legislature.

(Given how shocked so many people have been by the strong measures governments are suddenly taking to slow COVID19 spread, I'm not sure that people really did have a reasonable opportunity to vote early, as the judge argued.)

But then late last night, the Secretary of State found some legal grounds to postpone the election. It happened so late that quite a few people went to vote this morning only to find the polling stations were closed.

On the whole, I'm very impressed by Gov. DeWine's efforts, but this wasn't managed well.

Probably we all need to become more civilized like Washington state, where everyone votes by mail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ohio postponed until June, but only at the very last minute after the governor saw how long the early-voting lines were over the weekend.

This was a hard case. Usually when I vote in my polling place, there are fewer than 25 people there, including the poll workers. Ohio only decided it needed to take major steps for large groups and schools last week, and Ohio was ahead of the national curve. In fact, I would say that Ohio has been pushing the rest of the country to do the right thing. And Gov. DeWine had already made a lot of adjustments to let the election go forward, like moving polling stations out of nursing homes, and finding replacement workers for the many senior citizens who normally do that job.

And it's not easy to postpone an election. Gov. DeWine announced yesterday afternoon that he thought Ohio should do so, but he noted that he doesn't have the legal authority to make it happen. So what he did was to join a lawsuit filed by citizens concerned about their health.

And a judge said no, that the election had to go forward.

The judge said that the date of the election is set by the state legislature, and that given that people had had the opportunity to vote early or request an absentee ballot, he didn't have sufficient grounds to overturn the legislature.

(Given how shocked so many people have been by the strong measures governments are suddenly taking to slow COVID19 spread, I'm not sure that people really did have a reasonable opportunity to vote early, as the judge argued.)

But then late last night, the Secretary of State found some legal grounds to postpone the election. It happened so late that quite a few people went to vote this morning only to find the polling stations were closed.

On the whole, I'm very impressed by Gov. DeWine's efforts, but this wasn't managed well.

Probably we all need to become more civilized like Washington state, where everyone votes by mail.

I’m not voting today for the first time.  They don’t have sufficient judges,  they use touchscreens, and even with extremely low turnout, longer lines. 

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

and apparently bad at instilling a little levity into moderating...oh well, try try again soon, I'm sure.

i was being funny