If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

Just now, drumcorpsfever said:

Regarding the threat to the 2020 tour, what about the 2021 tour?  If vaccines are 18 months away, there is a possibility that tour cancellations go beyond this season.

I think right now there's actually too MUCH information from the perspective that we simply don't know what is true or false at this point. Most of the people that I know personally in the medical fields are saying that the hope is a burn out around May or June IF people continue to do what's necessary to protect themselves. 

8 minutes ago, dans said:

With all due respect, what news and opinion shows? And the answer to this question will probably speak volumes. 

All of them. But youre right some of these shows, especially Opinion shows do speak volumes, for those who really want to listen

• Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

All of them. But youre right some of these shows, especially Opinion shows do speak volumes, for those who really want to listen

I channel surf and sometimes go to the big two that are on opposite sides. Interesting how both just happen to be on commercial break at the same time. Not talking about on hour or usual times, it’s “we’ll take a quick break” and you switch and other side is taking quick break too. Would be great fodder for conspiracy buffs.... 

Back to topic, don’t think we will get a real handle on how things are progressing until we can test people as needed. IMO that’s the big failing and hope powers that be learn for the next time....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, dans said:

With all due respect, what news and opinion shows? And the answer to this question will probably speak volumes. 

And get the thread shut down.

Seriously, however you consume your media (and whichever side or sides), be mindful not to exceed the dosage you can tolerate.  Too much of anything can be toxic.

• Like 1

It doesn't really sink in until it hit's close to home. (as with HD's son having to voluntarily quarantine )  School employee tests positive for COVID-19.  This is a rural area of AZ  and who would have imagined it so soon.  Spring break initiated early, students quarantined.   Clinic established for this week to evaluate students exhibiting flue like symptoms, limited numbers of tests available in AZ.  In our town Chamber of Commence shuttered and only communicating electronically, and on and on.  It happens folks,  fortunately it appears our local public agencies are on top of it.  It is suggested that you deal with everyone   as if they have the crud.  Social distance and good hygiene!     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I channel surf and sometimes go to the big two that are on opposite sides. Interesting how both just happen to be on commercial break at the same time. Not talking about on hour or usual times, it’s “we’ll take a quick break” and you switch and other side is taking quick break too. Would be great fodder for conspiracy buffs.... 

Back to topic, don’t think we will get a real handle on how things are progressing until we can test people as needed. IMO that’s the big failing and hope powers that be learn.... 

So on the weekends, I work for a transportation company...essentially an airport shuttle to and from the ATL and Nashville (BNA) airports. I had several folks call me yesterday and ask what extra precautions we are taking. That is a valid question. What I can't understand was the one young lady who literally went on for 10 minutes telling me that the fact that we were not testing all passengers on our shuttles for the virus prior to them boarding was unacceptable and dangerous and that she was going to call every local government official and tell them that we were not testing. My answer to her was less than pleasant after she told me that I was useless and trying to kill off old people. I am old people...or at least "middle-old people" as Britt calls me. 

5 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

It doesn't really sink in until it hit's close to home. (as with HD's son having to voluntarily quarantine )  School employee tests positive for COVID-19.  This is a rural area of AZ  and who would have imagined it so soon.  Spring break initiated early, students quarantined.   Clinic established for this week to evaluate students exhibiting flue like symptoms, limited numbers of tests available in AZ.  In our town Chamber of Commence shuttered and only communicating electronically, and on and on.  It happens folks,  fortunately it appears our local public agencies are on top of it.  It is suggested that you deal with everyone   as if they have the crud.  Social distance and good hygiene!     

Yep. We had one here in Chattanooga that was finally confirmed on Friday. Things are hitting home for a lot of people. 

A lot of times, when it comes to media, people will see and hear what that want to see and hear. That's not to say that all media coverage is 100% responsible. Of course it's not, but some folks see a scientist or viral expert being interviewed on the news reporting on whatever the most accurate statistical modeling is saying about what's going on/what we're most likely going to expect, or giving best advice practices about what to do to stay safe (none of which involves hoarding toilet paper, btw!) and somehow they manage to conflate that into "the media is telling everyone to panic and that we're all gonna die!!!"

In short, people can be incredibly and willfully stupid at times like these. Postponing or cancelling events in the face of a world-wide pandemic is not fear mongering. Neither is limiting large public gatherings as much as possible or advising people to practice social distancing. But many people think that it is, and that it's all a result of the media overreacting "just to get ratings." Think about what's happened in this country just in the last 7 days alone. This thing has totally blindsided us to the point that something newsworthy is happening every half hour and it's always changing, moving faster than we can even process it. What else is there to report on?

Now imagine what it will be like in the next 7 days. And consider that we're already way behind in our response to this. With little to no testing available up to this point, it must be reasonably presumed that there are far more people infected right now than have been officially counted who don't even know it. People are trying to be optimistic that hopefully this whole thing will have run its course by June. Honestly, I think this thing has just gotten started and the worst is yet to come. That's not a fear mongering take on my part, but just someone looking around at how the rest of the world has been impacted by this and knowing that our lack of preparation is not going to make things easier going forward.

If you're not happy with the media coverage, change the channel or turn off the TV. There are many sites online that can provide you with the information you require in emergencies like this. (But in my experience, the people who complain about the media the most are those who can't seem to ever turn it off.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Back to topic, don’t think we will get a real handle on how things are progressing until we can test people as needed. IMO that’s the big failing and hope powers that be learn for the next time....

This may be a time when local news could be more valuable than national and cable news.

In April 2013, most of the Boston area was in lockdown while they were searching for the Boston Marathon bombers. Everyone had their televisions on, and I did quite a bit of channel surfing. CNN and Fox were blatantly wrong about so many things. Local coverage was spot on. Errors included locations where the search was taking place and names of local authorities. The coverage of National Security issues was on target for the cable networks,  but at that time it was only a small portion of the story.

I have found in this situation local coverage has input from the major hospitals in the area, what is open and closed and why, numbers of people infected, and what to do and not do. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, etc. have to fill airtime 24/7, local news has a smaller time frame so they are more likely to be accurate, especially for your locale.

• Like 3