If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

1 hour ago, DCVNVET said:

It doesn't really sink in until it hit's close to home. (as with HD's son having to voluntarily quarantine )  School employee tests positive for COVID-19.  This is a rural area of AZ  and who would have imagined it so soon.  Spring break initiated early, students quarantined.   Clinic established for this week to evaluate students exhibiting flue like symptoms, limited numbers of tests available in AZ.  In our town Chamber of Commence shuttered and only communicating electronically, and on and on.  It happens folks,  fortunately it appears our local public agencies are on top of it.  It is suggested that you deal with everyone   as if they have the crud.  Social distance and good hygiene!     

County I live in has 3 (edit now 5). Authorities Can’t release any info due to HIPPA but rumor mill and name of hospital group giving out info sounds like they were treated within a few miles of me. (Edit that was first 3 no idea on 4 and 5)

This morning went to supermarket 10 minutes after they opened (7:10am) and 20+ cars already. 20 minutes later about 50-60. Usually about 10 cars Sunday 8-8:30 so go figure. Less people so could keep distance and use self checkout and... used them Purell on the cart handle.

On topic: social distance and drum corps... two phrases that can never mesh

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

This morning went to supermarket 10 minutes after they opened (7:10am) and 20+ cars already. 20 minutes later about 50-60. Usually about 10 cars Sunday 8-8:30 so go figure. Less people so could keep distance and use self checkout and... used them Purell on the cart handle. 

With many religions cancelling services and all the recent news stories about supermarket crowds,  early shopping is good.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

This may be a time when local news could be more valuable than national and cable news.

100% agree Tim and believed that since I saw the difference between local and national reporting on Three Mile Island. Parents live in the area and I was couple hours away. People would watch national news and then ask me if I had talked to my parents lately so they could get the real story (real story is quote).

Edit: Uncle Walter Cronkite actually said “the aura of fear in Middletown” and sounded like everyone was going batso. Local news was: “now this is what we know”. Irony was story was broken by local top 40 AM radio station. Traffic guy was going to work around 4am and passed TMI and saw whole lot of flashing lights. He called station news guy and station called TMI. TMI stonewalled until was told “look we have the news coming up and if you don’t give us info we’re going to say something is going on and you refuse to talk”. Next was”ahhh let me get someone in charge”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Continental said:

I think the increased hoarding is being fueled by the all the coverage of hoarding.  One of those social behaviors where people see it happening and think "I should be doing that as well!"

My heart goes out to the people working in the stores.  I looked at the head cashier in the grocery store yesterday and I all I could say was "I really hope you are ok."  I wasn't there to buy anything but a couple of beers.  Those were in stock.

I also feel for all medical personnel having to deal with this.  Yesterday they announced that one of the local doctors who had been treating patients tested positive.  

One of the local food banks just announced they were closing and would do emergency deliveries only.  Food banks are there in case of emergency.....

My sister is a RN/BSN.  It’s been a tough few weeks but she’s a tough girl.  She’s kept her sense of humor. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

County I live in has 3 cases all contracted overseas and (from what info there is) sounds like a family. Authorities Can’t release any info due to HIPPA but rumor mill and name of hospital group giving out info sounds like they were treated within a few miles of me.

On topic: social distance and drum corps... two phrases that can never mesh

I went at 7:30 am Friday and there was already a line.  I keep disinfectant wipes in my bag. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

This may be a time when local news could be more valuable than national and cable news.

Great advice.  Picked the info.  for my post re: COVID-19 off the local radio station and then the Sunday edition of the local paper.   

23 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So on the weekends, I work for a transportation company...essentially an airport shuttle to and from the ATL and Nashville (BNA) airports. I had several folks call me yesterday and ask what extra precautions we are taking. That is a valid question. What I can't understand was the one young lady who literally went on for 10 minutes telling me that the fact that we were not testing all passengers on our shuttles for the virus prior to them boarding was unacceptable and dangerous and that she was going to call every local government official and tell them that we were not testing. My answer to her was less than pleasant after she told me that I was useless and trying to kill off old people. I am old people...or at least "middle-old people" as Britt calls me. 

All this concern for us.  Suddenly.  After “Ok boomer “ and “Die, Boomer, Die”.  It’s heartwarming.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, horndevil said:

I think what might be a bigger concern of the tour happens as scheduled is schools that are still in session deeper in the summer to make up for lost days 

Varies according to each state.  In our case, the governor declared a "State of Emergency" & ordered all schools to close for 3 weeks.  Per State Superintendent of Education, schools can request a waiver of any days missed that will automatically be approved under the "SOE" declaration.  In addition, the State Dept of Education has employed a policy that any school employee that test positive shall quarantine & placed on administrative leave for 14 days without having to use their sick days.  Good peoples running our state.      

Edited by keystone3ply
correction

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

Varies according to each state.  In our case, the governor declared a "State of Emergency" & ordered all schools to close for 3 weeks.  Per State Superintendent of Education, schools can request a waiver of any days missed that will automatically be approved under the "SOE" declaration.  In addition, the state has stated that any school employee that test positive shall quarantine & placed on administrative leave for 14 days without having to use their sick days.  Good peoples running our state.      

Illinois schools are closed until March 30th, but I expect that to be extended. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Illinois schools are closed until March 30th, but I expect that to be extended. 

We're closed thru Monday, April 6th but could be extended.  What's really unnerving is the recommendation to the National Association of School Superintendents that schools may have to be closed from 8 - 20 weeks.  That's just incredulous!  Hope it doesn't become a reality.     

Edited by keystone3ply
correction