If COVID-19 shuts down 2020 tour

1 hour ago, seen-it-all said:

A lot of times, when it comes to media, people will see and hear what that want to see and hear. That's not to say that all media coverage is 100% responsible. Of course it's not, but some folks see a scientist or viral expert being interviewed on the news reporting on whatever the most accurate statistical modeling is saying about what's going on/what we're most likely going to expect, or giving best advice practices about what to do to stay safe (none of which involves hoarding toilet paper, btw!) and somehow they manage to conflate that into "the media is telling everyone to panic and that we're all gonna die!!!"

If the "news" was simply politically neutral experts reporting and giving advice, we would be so much better off.  But when that evolves even to those same experts being interviewed, that already begins to twist the tone and emphasis of the coverage to the language and question choices of the interviewer.  Add onto that their headlines, teasers and opinion/analysis that these interviews are embedded in, and there is no escaping the biases of the news team.

News programs are incentivized by ratings (among other things).  That generally causes them to amplify stories.

In short, people can be incredibly and willfully stupid at times like these. Postponing or cancelling events in the face of a world-wide pandemic is not fear mongering. Neither is limiting large public gatherings as much as possible or advising people to practice social distancing. But many people think that it is, and that it's all a result of the media overreacting "just to get ratings." 

It is not black or white, with no gray in between.  I think most people, even those critical of media overhype, still agree that significant measures are appropriate right now to achieve social or logistical distancing so as to slow the spread of the virus.  Just because we fall short of unanimity on the specifics of when, where, how and how much, does not mean any of us think it is ENTIRELY fear-mongering.  

Think about what's happened in this country just in the last 7 days alone. This thing has totally blindsided us to the point that something newsworthy is happening every half hour and it's always changing, moving faster than we can even process it. What else is there to report on?

An oil price war.  An attack on a military base in Iraq.  A presidential primary campaign.  Whether Meghan Markle is pregnant again.  There is plenty to report on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Hope, my wife, has RA and has a compromised immune system. She is in the high risk category. We are aggressively practicing social distancing.

My sister has RA, too.  The drug she takes lowers her immune system.  Hope you both avoid this virus.  🤗❤️

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ghost said:

But, some proms are being held in some states.

My daughter (who is a senior) was going to originally have to miss prom because it coincided with the Texas Color Guard Circuit state finals. Which were then canceled. The prom cancellation soon followed. Her graduation isn’t until May 31 but there’s obviously a big question mark hanging over that right now. Serious bummer.

We’re supposed to be closing on a house next month, to be followed by a move to Ft. Worth. So I’ve been interviewing all over DFW the past week. One working interview that was supposed to happen yesterday was cancelled because the owner doc decided to temporarily shut the doors due to the virus. This hasn’t been the norm (I still have meetings scheduled for this coming week) but I fear it may become more common. I’ve already seen posts from other docs who’ve said hygienists and assistants are calling in. And the guidelines for dental offices have been a little inconsistent from state to state, organization to organization. Uncertainty abounds. (You should see the arguments in the dental FB groups...)

Job hunting, closing on a house, moving and planning a graduation were already stressing me out, but now this? Only thing to do is just keep swimming, I suppose ...

As to drum corps? Week before last I’d just been about to pull the trigger on tickets to the Denton show, but decided to hold off. Had a feeling. Sadly, that might’ve been the right call. So it’s the Regiment watching party for the moment. (It was fun to pick up my iPad earlier and see myself on the feed.)

2 hours ago, garfield said:

My assistant just texted me that she and her two sons, one of whom is in daycare, are all running fevers of 100 or so.  She has aches and sniffles, one son has chills and a cough, and the young one has cough and sneezing.  (For 12 years, if ANY germ flies within 1000 miles of her kid's daycare, they all get it.  These symptoms are about as common as dawn in her house.)

Two hospitals told her that they won't test them unless they've been in contact with someone who's tested positive or are showing three of four signs (each has two, none has three but, combined, they are a Petri dish).

Three of six of us in the office are age 60 or older.

Yikes. Hate to hear this. Hope all turns out ok.

I am at a loss to understand how some people continue disbelieve the seriousness of C19.  Simply mind boggling.  It seems the nonbelievers are just mad because ALL their plans must change.  This is REAL folks, very very real. Don’t start with other rationales like what cancer does or some other non contagion disease does.  It’s not the same.  I know the regular flu kills people and so is this but we don’t know anything about it’s potential result but we is KNOWN is that it will be far worse than the flu.  I can’t prove it but I believe China has underreported what has happened there.  Remember no on died at Tianeman Square.

For me right now I’m looking at VIP tix for BAC’s show at BC (for about $600) that I am thinking might not happen.  I was about to make plans for Indy, but I’m holding off. ST visit?  Maybe not (it’s only 2 months away and the time frame for C19 is looking longer than that). My daughter is graduating high school and is doing remote learning for the next 3 weeks and I am sure we will experience heartbreak of a missed prom.

i work for a national retailer and we may be closing all stores tonight for at least 2 weeks.  No travel and possible office closure this week.

Got to roll with it how inconvenient this is but I don’t want to get sick or die either.  I am in a high risk group (age & Type 2 diabetic). So those of you who aren’t believing this,  please listen to the true experts at this, like Dr. Fauci.  This is real.  This is is far worse than the regular flu.  Wash your hands, avoid crowded places, clean everything and leave some toilet paper for others.  Why do you need so much?

• Thanks 1

It's a good thing that the governments are stepping up with benefits that offer direct cash to those affected.  They're even allowing restaurants to return unopened liquor to the State stores they run and offer a full refund.  Unemployment benefit qualifications are being eased drastically, companies and individuals are being considered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And that's the catch 22. You don't know if you've been in contact unless you've been tested and show positive and you can't get the test in some places, seemingly, unless you can say you've been in contact. I'm so confused. 

If this virus is able to live on surfaces for a short period of time, why would the potential to pick it up from a surface not be taken into account when the need for testing is being discussed?   

Although cancelling the entire 2020 season should be on the table, I hope they wait.  It's still only mid-March.  Don't over-react.  

Give it a few more weeks to see how this thing plays out.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Although cancelling the entire 2020 season should be on the table, I hope they wait.  It's still only mid-March.  Don't over-react.  

Give it a few more weeks to see how this thing plays out.

It's reasonable to believe the transmission of the virus will continue for a while. 

What could a corps director do if a staff member or performer tests positive while on tour?   They'd have to quarantine everyone for 2 weeks.

I think we're all in denial of the inevitable.  I suspect DCI may soon pull the plug on the 2020 Tour.

WGI has already to agreed to give age-outs another season.  DCI should do the same. 

Can you imagine how competitive the 2021 season will be with this much time to prepare?

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1