Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are you OK?

Here's what I wrote on Thursday: "On the other hand, though, the largest hospital complex in the country (or maybe the world), the Texas Medical Center in the Houston area, maxed out its regular ICU capacity today. As its administrators predicted yesterday, they're now at 100%. They have been planning for this and have some surge capacity. Unfortunately, based on current trends in that area, TMC says they expect to run out of those additional ICU beds in less than two weeks."

And here's what KHOU reported on Tuesday:

"At the Texas Medical Center in Houston, 97 percent of ICU beds were occupied on Tuesday. Twenty-seven percent of those ICU patients have COVID-19.

The normal base occupancy rate at the world's largest medical center is 70 to 80 percent.

The hospitals have contingency plans to add additional ICU beds for temporary surges. But if the number of COVID cases continues at the current rate, the TWC could fill up all of those beds in the next two weeks."

Looks like it is time to repeat some things I said awhile back.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:32 AM, cixelsyd said:

1.  Please remember that the scariest statistics are based on the condition "if we do nothing".

2.  As we do more testing in the coming days, you will hear all sorts of scary reports about "new cases".  Please bear in mind that these will be new reported cases, many of which are admittedly existing cases that just have not been tested yet.  The media is already commonly branding these as simply "new cases", which is misleading.

For this specific episode of C-19 media terror, I should also add... 

3.  Not all cases become hospitalizations.  Not even close.  In fact, many C-19 cases are entirely asymptomatic.  Of those that are not, many people experience minor symptoms and recover on their own.  Only a small percentage of cases ever burden the healthcare system.

4.  And we are hearing that the latest "surge" consists of a greater proportion of younger people, for whom the data has long established will have far fewer severe cases.

5.  We all knew that as we reopened, there would be more cases.  The difference is that we are now much better prepared to handle them.

As I have said before... do not panic.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1